Thrustmaster Racing Wheel Module (eSwap X/XR Pro Controller)

Recently picked up this module for my eSwap X Pro Controller, but having a bit of tough time adjusting to it; thus was wondering how other owners are getting on with theirs?

I play at max difficulty (125%) and whilst I’m still able to take wins against ‘unbeatable’ AI, I don’t (yet?) feel as though my driving’s as precise as it was with the stick.

I’m using the module in the top left slot, where it feels most comfortable, with my thumb resting on the left side of the wheel; however this results in having to push up to turn right/pull down to turn left. Not only is this less natural than simply left/right (with a stick), but more importantly I now have to bend my thumb to turn left and straighten/extend it to turn left: a motion which (at present anyway) feels clumsy compared to the thumb remaining straight but pivoting closer to the wrist.

HokiHoshi (YouTube) seems to be getting good results with it in the lower slot, so I might try that next (had a play with it there previously, but not a proper test).

It may just be that I need a while longer to adjust; I do recall manual w/clutch a bit of a struggle to begin with, but now it’s second nature, so fingers crossed a similar case here!

Any thoughts/tips very welcome.

Cheers!

Update:

Having spent a few more hours with the module, things are beginning to come together, and I think/hope that with time it’ll eventually surpass the stick; in fact they’re already some instances where it feels better.

Decided to keep the RWM in the top left slot as I prefer a stick to a d-pad for navigating the map, photo mode and Forzavista (with the stick in the top left slot and the RWM in the lower left, my thumb tends to catch the former).

Will post again after 10 or so more hours’ play.

If anyone’s interested the controller itself (I’ve had it a while now) is very good, IMO.

1 Like

Update:

With a good few more hours’ playtime under my belt, I’m happy to report that – though it did take me quite a while to fully adjust – I’m finally happy with the module, and can tentatively say that I now prefer it to the stick. Configuration has remained the same as described previously: RWM in the top left slot, dual sticks below; my thumb rests at about 9 o’clock on the wheel.

On another note: the stick that had previously been used for steering started to malfunction (erratic inputs etc), despite only being used for roughly five months. Although I bought the controller from Scan, I called Thrustmaster direct to request a replacement and had a great chat with customer support. The guy I spoke to was really interested to hear how I was finding the Racing Wheel Module and clearly very knowledgeable (and passionate!) about a number of their other products (I also have a HOTAS Warthog and TPR pedals; both excellent, BTW).

Only just sent off my email (to TM); I don’t envisage any probs getting a replacement stick, but will let you know if I do. To be clear, I don’t think it should have failed after such a short time, however at least with this controller they are mercifully relatively cheap and easy to replace if they do go!

1 Like

Update:

Just a quick one to say that after a considerable amount of time with the module, I’ve come to really enjoy it and now much prefer it to the mini-stick.

If anyone else is tempted to make the jump, I say go for it!