[RESOLVED] Cannot Play Game due to 0% Syncing Data/Infinite Loading Screen Issue

I can’t get past the menu screen in FH4 to play the game because the “Syncing Data” menu is permanently stuck at 0%. If I force-close and restart the game, the syncing data menu doesn’t even show up and the game is stuck at the loading screen after I press start. I’ve had this issue for almost 2 weeks now.

Searching around, this appears to be a fairly common issue on PC, but it’s been mostly ignored by support even though it indefinitely locks people out from playing the game…

The problem seems to have no fix or solution that has solved it for anybody. Customers like us who paid for the game and put hundreds of hours into their profile and they can’t play anymore, due to the terrible server and cloud save implementation which evidently doesn’t function to an acceptable standard, and has no backups when something goes wrong during sync. Being stuck with this problem is like being permanently banned and having your save profile deleted, for no reason.

Personally speaking, this issue arose for me when the game crashed one day during play, possibly during a save and/or sync, and now nothing I do will allow me to get past the menu screen and play the game.

Troubleshooting steps I’ve tried:

-Completely uninstalling and reinstalling the game 2 times.
-Resetting the game under Apps and Features in Windows.
-Enabling and restarting all Windows services related to Xbox, Updating, and Windows Store.
-Resetting the game, rebooting, disconnecting from the internet, temporarily playing the game with a local save, then reconnecting back again (knowing that my original save would be overwritten), but this doesn’t work either because it runs into the same 0% sync problem when I go online.

I’ve conceded that my original save may be corrupted and lost on the cloud, but I can’t even start a new game? Really?

1 Like

Give it some more time to sync, for me one time it took over 2 hours (no joke…) and im on pc with fiber to home. So yea, try it when you going out or have to do something and let it sit there. It should change to any other percentage than 0% after a while, so you know its doing something.

I have begun to experience a similar issue tonight wherein after pressing ‘ENTER’ to start, the game loads for all eternity. Task manager suggests that it is doing precisely nothing at all

Could this be related to that issue?

Possibly, my game does that when the sync window doesn’t show up or closes with 0% done.

I made a fresh windows install on another SSD, currently downloading the game (for a third time).
I wrote this in my post as well, a completely fresh windows install is not a practical solution, I’m just interested.
If that doesn’t resolve the issue it has to be either network related or something is flawed on their end.

The syncing shouldn’t be so sensetive to game crashes or being canceled.

EDIT:
I can not believe this.
Syncing

It takes a complete windows re-install to get this going?
Why, where on earth is the issue?

1 Like

It completely has to do with their end. Nothing else could explain this happening to so many players but a problem with their servers, or the syncing and saving process.

Keep us updated.

So did it instantly started syncing after windows reinstall or did you still had to wait forever to get to 10%?

It was pretty much instant and took about a minute to finish.
Before it did though, there was a dialoge about if I wanted to retry syncing or want to cancel an ongoing sync on another device.
Which confused me a lot, since there shouldn’t be any other device syncing, I do not own an Xbox One nor is any other device using my account.

Maybe it meant the previous Windows installation?
But then it couldn’t have been still syncing, except the Xbox Live server never terminated the sync process, which would be really strange.
But regardless, this needs to be investigated by probably Microsoft, doesn’t appear to be Turn 10s fault.

I also added this new development to my ticket, so that they know it has to do with some part of the OS.
Since I had tried this before with a clean boot, it is likely no third party software causing this.
I also used a pretty recent image which has basically all the same basic software and services running as last time.
(I even went through stuff like looking into the host file to make sure nothing is blocked, but the issue occured from one moment to the next, which made it unlikely to begin with.
No software installation in between, no Windows Update, no hardware change which could have caused this. The drive it was running on before is fine too, no read or write errors or anything like that.)

Submit a ticket here and include all the information you’ve given here.
The team will look into this, especially if we the team have to recover a save

Thanks

You could use my ticket as source of information to help the others, since I can’t reproduce the issue.
Unless it happens again.
My ticket is #22348.

I will try to add some more information about the system to my ticket, in case there is something usefull to know.

I restarted my machine and it fixed the issue.
Has anyone else tried this?

I also have the 0% issue on a brand new installation of FH4, I have FH3 installed as well, and that has the same problem.

Reinstalling windows is not an option I’m willing to take.

How do I view the #22348 ticket so I can keep track of any progress with a fix?

Only the support team can access other tickets, I will keep you posted here if they figure something out.

The problem is fixed it seems Forza Horizon 4 needs windows 10 update,This is what you need to type in google search, not sure if allowed to post any type link

January 22, 2019—KB4476976 (OS Build 17763.292)

I downloaded and installed this windows 10 1809 update and it worked, Forza Horizon 4 will load just leave it loading then hit enter or controller to start it and it will go into loading please wait, XBOX App will pop up like it was login screen and it will says Syncing data, it will be slow sync but dont touch it …once finished you are into game and it will load to 2nd loading screen like on installation , let it finish and you are ready to go.

Have fun.

I think mine doesn’t have this update as far as I can tell.
Windows Version

Yet Forza works fine on the clean install, but according to the patch notes that update does adress some network related issues apparently.
It’s worth a try.

The windows 10 1809 update fixed it for me. Thanks.

I can confirm that moving from Windows 10 build 1803 to 1809 has solved the permanent 0% sync issue.

HOWEVER, updating also meant that I had to completely reinstall the game again, since my Apps & features’ list of installed programs and the Microsoft Store no longer detected it after the update, even though it was still installed in the WindowsApps folder taking up 70gb of hard drive space. The only way I could “uninstall” the game was by using a third party program to forcibly break the encryption on the game files in order to delete the game

Then, I downloaded Forza Horizon 4, for the FOURTH time this month , which is nearly 75% of my ISP’s monthly data allowance alone.
The good news is the syncing data process only took less than 2 minutes for me, so the idea that one might have to wait 2 hours to sync is ridiculous.

Thanks for the updates.
I’m having similar problems (since last Wednesday’s black screen/Xbox live issues) on a brand new x1x. On a pc I can kind of understand it, all the variables must be a dev nightmare. But on a new vanilla console???

As a quick follow up to my circumstances. It was an xbox one X hardware failure. New console in place. Existing game save has been stable for the past week. Fingers crossed, may it continue.