Rear View Mirror 2-17-14

Forza Fans,

Get ready to rock, with the Daytona 500 and the Clipsal 500 coming up, the roar of the 2014 racing season is in air.

This week RVM brings you community-driven content as well as coverage of Daytona 500 qualifying and Aussie V8 Supercars testing.

Read it, consume it, comment on it folks.

John

1 Like

Hey John.

I can relate to your weekend mechanical adventure… I spent the weekend putting a drive shaft and a rear wheel bearing in my winter beater a 1999 Honda CRV… now that was fun… you haven’t seen rust until you worked on cars from eastern Canada… I would love to see a 1974 Beetle now, but they have long since disappeared here.

Its a bitter sweet note to see the # 3 return in the Daytona 500, its like tempting fate… but I Guess we will sit with bated breathe until the Final lap, maybe Dale will be riding shotgun for that final turn, to finally get over that finish line… after all these years.

To -Resident Priest - I always found the 2010 Audi R8 Coupe 5.2 FSI quattro fun and easy to drive. I have a fairly Good “S” tune shared on FM5…

Thanks John for another Great Read…

2 Likes

Very nice write up, John! I can’t wait for the Daytona 500 and as a Earnhardt fan, I don’t mind that Austin Dillon is driving the #3 since Dale Sr. is his godfather and he said (before he passed) that either someone from his side or Childress’ side would drive the famed #3 if he were to retire. As for the Sprint Unlimited on Saturday, it was one heck of a race, Jimmie Johnson gets loose in the first segment, then a big huge wreck takes out most of the field with Patrick and Stenhouse colliding afterwards (which made my day), then the pace car catches on fire all because of electrical problems with the strobe lights. I was upset when Dale Jr. got wrecked by Ambrose, but anyways congrats to Hamlin on winning on Saturday and Dillon on winning the pole! For mechanical work over the weekend, I worked on a '05 Hyundai Elantra (grandmother’s car): working on the brakes (pedal was soft), putting in a new evap purge solenoid and vapor canister vent valve (was throwing codes), still need to fix the door lock on the passenger side, and install the new JVC HD radio (hasn’t come in yet), since my car is still in SC and I’m in SW Florida.

And John, my neighbor has a '70 bug, which he is getting ready to build a new engine for it and he asked me if I would lend him a hand in the assembly and installation, and I agreed. I will put pics of it in my Flickr gallery and possibly post them on here.

1 Like

Let me start by giving major props to John for bringing attention to Resident Priests post, very awesome to see. I’m sure its nice for him to see the communities appreciation. So thank you for that John.

I do have a question about the portion of this issue of RVM dealing with the V8 Supercar season. I’m not up to speed (har har) with this series but always enjoy watching it when I can. So I watched the video clip you included and something caught my eye, you mention the new addition of Nissan as bringing the total brands in the series to four; Holden, Ford, Merc and Nissan. My question is where does the Valvoline Racing GRM Volvo fit in?

Also was wondering if you will be participating in the upcoming Race with the Dev event? I enjoyed racing and chatting with you in the last event and I still need to see if I can get the Badge/Achievement to pop as it didn’t last event.

Thanks for all you do around here and as always Happy Racing!

DwoodOne
USMC

GT: DwoodOne
Car : 1964 ferrari 250 gto

Wow number 3 is back? I don’t know what to think about that.on one hand, I find it disrespectful to Sr. But on the other, I can see the history and legacy of the number.

I feel your pain, nothing like trying to break lose something that gas been put together for decades. Some of the planes I work on are from the 40s and 60s…

Gamertag : allsupratt

Unicorn : 2007 shelby cobra

thanks for the rvm john
gt : Pro4TLZZ
Car : 1964 ferrari 250 gto

great read again thanks, aways keeps me busy at work :wink:

its always good to see race season is getting back upon us, i will be going to the test round of BTCC at Silverstone in March which should be fun.

Its a good job that VW’s are easy to take apart (hahaha yeah rite) just because they are simple to take apart and put together that does not count for many years of grime and rust you have to battle with. i let you in to my secret…hammer and WD40, and more time then you would like to spend on one thing. keep going and do not let it beat you. The beetle will live again.

great read

hope we gonna see more effort it the rivals this week lol.

1 Like

Thanks for the RVM , daytona is a great race, I’ll follow it, carefully this race ^^

GT:Li1bet
Unicorn : toyota supra Top secret

Wow what an awesome RVM. It’s so cool to see that the No. 3 is being brought back and even cooler that the person driving it made pole. It’s also great to hear all the donations and the charity races. Unfortunately, I don’t own Forza 5 so I can’t recommend a car for -Resident Priest- but I can thank him dearly for his service and hope that he continues to enjoy Forza and the community!

GT: Sparkfire7

Unicorn Request: 2002 BMW M3-GTR “Street Version”

Nice RVM, not jet fully through, though
Didn’t know Mercedes is at the V8 Supercars, but one question. I see Volvo at the Video are they just testing, or are there five brands now? Because your talking about Nissan is the fourth??

Thanks for the RVM. Keep working on your Beetle it’s a great car and very reliable. I didnt know Mercedes and Volvo were in the Aussie V8! Gongrats to number #3 for the laptime at Daytona too!
To Resident Priest: I cant really recommend just one car but if i have to I would say the Nissan GT-R because it’s AWD and really not skidding much.

GT: Chris Ace 09
F4 Unicorn: 2007 Ferrari 430 Scuderia

Not a big fan of Nascar. It would be more enjoyable to watch if they would return to their roots and split time 50/50 between ovals and road tracks. I guess that would make them alot more like the Aussie V8s. Speaking of which, it is great to see another manufacturer getting into the mix. Hopefully the Nissans will get into the mix and break up the Holden hold.
Resident Priest, if I had Forza 5 I would give you every car in the stable for the job you and the rest of the military are doing. THANK YOU!

GT : Otismotis1
F4 Unicorn : 2004 Top Secret Silvia D1-Spec S15

Hi John, ask me if I miss the 3. Have mixed feelings about seeing it on the track again, but Sr. would want it there.

Regarding your beetle, man we used to cut those up and make dune buggies out of them, must of cut up at least 4 or 5 when I was a kid. The neighbors dad was a welder so he would cut the top of the body off and weld bar stock on fro roll bars. We used to go to the junk yard looking for VW buses for the trannies. It’s geared lower so on pavement when we’ pop 2nd gear it would lift the nose off the ground a couple feet, fun times. Now I see what those things are worth and what we destroyed and just shake my head.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear about your car woes over the weekend John and I hope you can get the Beetle up and running before too long. The only thing productive I did with the car this weekend is wash it. It needed it. As for the past weekend in racing, I was stoked for the Sprint Unlimited and then to see that big wreck that not only took out the #24, but most of the field, it just wasn’t a very entertaining race with only 9 cars left out there. But nonetheless, hats off to Denny for the win. As for the #3 getting the pole, I was really excited for that team. I know going into the season, the fans have huge expectations and a lot of mixed feelings about it, but I think it’s great for the sport to see it back on the track. Even though I’m a Gordon fan and would have loved for him to get the pole, after Dillon got it, I honestly didn’t want to see anyone else besides the #3 on the pole, but thought it would have been cool to see that #24 be lined up right beside it on the front row. It would have brought back a lot of memories with Sr. and Gordon.

Can’t wait for Thursday night and the Duels and then it’s on to wait until Sunday and watch the Great American Race! Go Jeff!

GT: SlimyTurt1e
FM5 credits

Hi Jon. Good read as always:) It will be good to see the #3 back on track. I still remember when Sr. was tearing it up and had good memories of that. I’m also excited to see if Nissan can do good things in V8 Supercars. Them races are a lot of fun to watch when I get the chance. If you’re feeling generous I’ll accept the last unicorn I need.:slight_smile:

GT: TJDAWG
Unicorn: 2009 Ford Fiesta ZETEC S (Forza Horizon)

Hey Everyone,

I totally missed that Volvo is also down with the V8 Supercars series. It wasn’t mention in any of the articles I read. I guess because they were too focused on the Nissan story.

So yay! Volvo in V8 Supercars. I love me some Volvo! I have owned 6 or 7 of them and loved every one. Friggin’ racing tanks, they are!

My apologies for the missed bit.

John

This is awesome!! Its alway good to see tanks racing. Now they just need to bring back the wagon in BTCC and with honda having the civic wagon it can be a BTWC (British touring wagon champions)

1 Like

The V8 Supercars is one of my favorite racing series. Good luck to Nissan in gaining a foothold on the Fords and Holdens. May take some time but I think Nissan can certainly bring some great competition.

Hi,
Daytona ist a great race thanks for the superb RVM.

GT: Gjuergen

Unicorn: FM4: 2002 Top Secret 0-300 Supra