Just a small list of points that show how far FM7 has strayed from the glory days

Share sentiment on many points out of this post. Turn10 has been resting on it’s laurels for quite some time now, but two recent issues (of many, to be sure) that really rubbed me raw, however, were (succinctly):

1. the game UI and the UE just out of maneuvering about always felt like I was sort of fighting the against game to do anything, but also this feeling like everything was literally held together with scotch tape, paperclips, and a bit of chewing gum…just whatever they could find lying around the office and collected from in between couch cushions. It felt like both a battle ax and delicately fragile at the same time, which resulted in my feeling like I was ‘doing the game’ rather than ‘playing the game,’ if that makes sense, and

2. I’ve always maintained that FM7, having little more to offer beyond it’s predecessor save for one new environment and drivatar gear, is really more an expansion of FM6 than it is a successor, so FM6.5, I guess. And having been a sucker and preordered the Ultimate Edition, to have gotten what was 85% overly familiar content felt like a slap in the face to me. With this hot mess on one side of a split screen and on the other there is Horizon 3/4, the series really coming into it’s own offering so much new content with every release…it’s stunning to me they took our money and shipped FM7 at all. Great that they finally got a clue (or a conscience) and rebuilding from top to bottom, though should have quite some time ago rather than continue to take player money for repetitive products with redundant/duplicate features.

2 Likes

I don’t know if Turn10 will ever top the brilliance that is FM4. Some recent posts on this forum make me think they never will, because they have the wrong people in charge.

I think what makes me nervous about Forza Motorsport 2022 is that Turn10 has been talking about the changes to the physics and the sound, but not the gameplay. The problem is, a 10x improvement in the fidelity of the simulation does not make the game 10x better to play. Very few people would notice the difference - I’m not one of them.

They should aim to make a truly engrossing title, that has a slower career progression, like FM4 did. Make each car you win or buy feel meaningful again. Make the choices that you make in your career matter.

Also get rid of all of the SUVs, and get rid of the James Bond cars and the Fast and the Furious cars. I don’t want to see a 2000hp Plymouth in the game again please.

Perhaps most importantly, jettison the homologation system which nobody seemed to ever like and never made much sense.

3 Likes

Gotta say, nice to see i’m not the only one. Building on the success of FM4 shouldn’t be that hard.

But sometimes it feels like the consistently choose the worst direction for the new installment, like focusing on ‘‘collecting cars’’ instead of actually driving them.
Again visible with FH5. So annoying.

2 Likes

Actually a huge part of GTlike racing games is to collect cars.

The problem with Forza is not the collecting per se but the way the game wants you to do it. FH is worse than Pokémon in this regard since almost every car newly introduced to the game is a Mew.

At this point I feel pretty cheated by Turn 10. It would be a lot of fun to go back and revisit some of these games to see the differences you are all talking about, but it seems like the delisting process on these old titles make them pretty annoying to play since the DLC isn’t available at all.

Anyone else feel a little ripped off by this model?

It’s my understanding that since I missed the deadline back in September that I’m just SOL when it comes to getting any DLC. Looking at eBay yields lots of listings for modded accounts, but I would assume you’d get banned for going that route?

After getting back on FM6 after playing FM7, I noticed 5 points that FM6 that FM7 does not have, and the next FM should get back.

1. Solid class leaderboards that log times in solo, multiplayer, rivals (everything)
  2. That you can see your lap time split on the last lap.
  3. Adding in AI cars in custom lobbies
  4. Track limits, track limits are less strict and you can ride the kerbs (without dirting lap), but the kerbs make car unstable so you risk crashing car for riding kerbs (so if you go over your not rewarded, you are punished because it’s slower)
  5. Leaderboards, Seeing your friends overall rank in the friends tab is good.
1 Like

Things I miss in FM7 and FM6 does not have are:

1. Pre Loading the track while you select cars is good.
  2. The ability to tune/build car in lobby is good.
  3. The ability to see leaderboards after race is good
1 Like

I would also like to see the lap times for each race. ALL the lap times, not just the quickest clean one.

I’d disagree with “collecting”, since Forza 7 doesn’t even use any of the cars for its career mode. What you want is FM to be turned into a e-sport-based game like Assetto and PCars. Just the absence of classic tracks in GT7 made me stray away from it, no way I’m going to buy another e-sport Gran Turismo for a high price.

For me, the AI in the 1st Forza ( Forza ONE ) Was the best. I remember using the AI for “Drafting” on the Sunset Speedway Oval in “A” Class to get a Top 10 Time.

You could drop down in front of the AI and it would stay behind you for a short distance which would give you a little drafting.

The AI in FM1 was the best to you?? My experience with FM1 was constantly getting rammed. It was like a FM7 open lobby, I had to look behind me on a hairpin and make sure it was safe to turn. Plenty of times the AI shot up the inside, completely forgetting to brake, and hit a wall. Tracks like Tokyo and New York where there were high speed straights into sharp turns just lead to piles of cars.

The AI in FM7 still isn’t where I’d like it to be but it’s so much better than FM1.

I can only hope FM makes me never want to race FM7’s AI again.

1 Like

I agree mostly. I can say I love Forza. I do not care for ‘mod cards’ in Forza Motorsport. That’s Gould be over on horizon. Keep Forza Motorsport more sim based.

And tires physics need some polishing but I still love it and play over a lot of others. But nearing my completion of the new sim rig I’m debating on doing VR with. So that’s a whole new level there. Still on console for now though.