Gameplay - AI struggles with making passes

I like to set up multi class races with level 8 AI difficulty, and I’ve noticed that I can very easily stay ahead of an AI car that may be hundreds of PI points higher than me (I’ve raced E class cars and fought off A class cars) without even trying to defend against them.

Reason being is that the AI prioritizes keeping its line so much, that if you simply keep racing on the racing line, the AI will just apply the brakes to not hit you and then stay behind you rather than break out of the racing line to shoot past you. Unless it’s a long straight in which case they just accelerate and rear end you, rather than break the racing line.

I actively have to move to the other side of a track for the AI to blast past me, and even then they’ll often brake to avoid hitting me if I make a slight move closer to them. Hopefully this gets fixed, because it’s pretty immersion breaking to see a 911 GT3 stuck behind me driving a 300SL making no efforts to pass for lap after lap before just ramming me off the road.

The AI seems to need a lot of improvements. The only thing the AI is good at right now is to be fast when they are alone on the track. As soon as they need to interact with the player or other AI opponents, they start struggling and are a lot slower than before. I really hope competitive racing with AI will at some point be possible… :confused:

1 Like

It is competitive. Just pick a car 300 PI or more slower than the AI cars ;^)

Once you make a pass on AI in freeplay & career mode they completely give up. I really don’t care about career mode though. Just playing it to get the car rewards at the end of the series.

Why does the AI lose their mind and drive off track when you pass them? I’ve seen this many, maaaany, times already in Forza Motorsport, and I don’t understand why getting passed automatically makes them brainfart.

Circuit Race, difficulty 6, sport rules.
Adding a video for reference:

I played FM4 the past few days and the AI in the game is not as fast as in FM(23), but knows really well how to fight for a position.

BTW: FM4 came out in 2011.

2 Likes

@here
Does this issue still persist after recent updates? Would it be possible to provide an updated video of this in action?

1 Like

Yes, the AI still makes the same mistakes. I did the latest part of the featured tour yesterday and on Maple Valley the AI still flew off a bunch of times and crashed into tire walls. The AI seems to not have learned anything in the past Updates, at least I haven’t seen any improvement.
Also on the Nordschleife the AI is crashing a lot.

Maybe AI struggles with making passes but it surely knows how to ram you, especially right after the start. This problem occurs from the beginning and it’s still not fixed. On narrow tracks it’s very frustrating because you have no room to avoid this.

Yes, still there.