FPS unlocked in private multiplayer

Just saw today’s blog post and one part stuck out to me.

In multiplayer, framerates are locked to ensure a consistent and competitive online racing experience for all players across a variety of PC hardware configurations and the Xbox Series X|S consoles

I can understand doing this for ranked multiplayer to create a level playing field but I think private lobbies should definitely allow unlocked framerates for PC players. Or at the very least, make this an option when creating a private lobby.

Capped FPS is a deal breaker.

There isn’t a single competitive sim that caps FPS for competitive, or any, reasons. People with higher refresh rate monitors will actually be at a disadvantage when the game looks janky at a capped frame rate compared to those on a 60 Hz TV running at 60.

9 Likes

What’s next? Ban wheels to prevent unfair advantage? Should they ship a 640x480 monitors to everyone with the game to make it all fair…?

11 Likes

And people still want to call this a sim…no true sim on the market does frame capping on purpose.

9 Likes

Locking the framrate like T10 is doing in FM makes no sense to me.
Higher FPS are NOT automatically faster, there are pros on 60 and even on 30 fps. The theoretical fastest times on PC and console or 60hz and higher refresh rates are almost identical and the difference in pace is so small that it can be safely ignored. Even if taken at face value, the reasoning of “creating an even playing field” falls apart immediately as we already know that the fps cap will be tied to your monitors refresh rate.

The decision of capping frames is bewildering to say the least. I really hope T10 reconsiders.

5 Likes

They should instead work on decoupling the framerate from the physics engine.
It’s still mindboggling to me that they are still doing this practice after supposedly “making the game from the ground up”.

5 Likes

I cancelled my pre-order and now I just feel incredibly sad. I had so much anticipation, I just want to drive around tracks in multiplayer in an open track day style lobby. I don’t want to compete in rivals or competitive racing I just wanted to drive around with friends :,(

This has instantly made me lose all interest in the game. I paid £2500 for my PC and your gonna force me to have the same frame rate as a very underwhelming series S?

This is the first iv ever seen this implemented and I’m not supporting it, it’s ridiculous.

4 Likes

So Gran Turismo 7, the PS5 exclusive, drops a 120hz mode, while their upcoming biggest competitor Forza Motorsport locks frame rates to 60?

I’m still on a 1080p monitor, I sure hope you’ll lock resolutions to 1920x1080 too, the 4K players can see the apexes clearer, it’s unfair to me!

7 Likes

This is a joke, It’s more of an advantage having a direct drive wheel over a controller than having extra frames. Turn 10 really need to change this awful decision. 60fps or less is like watching a slideshow when coming from 120+fps. Passed on the Crew due its silly 60fps cap likely do the same for Forza…

7 Likes

This is so sad. Xbox and Forza keeps shooting themselves in the foot and wonders why people feel the way they do. First the crap with not having bots in lobbies with friends in 7, now this.
Their push for parity (on both consoles) is fine, but again is shooting themselves in the foot again. But restrciting/capping performance is a d**k slap in the face and anyone on pc that plays Forza shouldn’t support this development desicion. Gran Turismo looks amazing, better than anything Forza has shown yet, and they have better performance too. How can you call it the “Most Powerful Console” if you continue to not let it stretch its legs and sprint b/c you want it to walk alongside the S model.
Xbox players are going to cope and say “but 60 is good though”, well sure it’s better than 30, but being content, just taking what you get, and not voicing or showing any sort of annoyance with desicions is not going to push Xbox or Forza to get better when the expectations aren’t raised by fans.

7 Likes

Incredibly sad that this is not talked about everywhere. Whats the point of having a PC at all if you have to lower your visual fidelity to accommodate low end hardware. Definitely gonna be skipping motorsport because of this reason alone. >100 fps is my sweet spot for racing games, lower is just not pleasant to play and i really doubt that series S could deliver even 60 with good graphics

2 Likes

Yeah thanks but no thanks. Way to alienate PC players who spend thousands on a rig to play games. This gives console the advantage in multiplayer because they are used to the janky frame-rate. It makes me nauseous to drive a car at 60 frames. I’m sure you’re losing lots money with this decision.

2 Likes

And never mind unlocked fps in private lobbies , he fps should be unlocked in all multiplayer scenarios just like all other multiplayer titles.

Xbox shooting themselves in their own foot once again, we’ve reached the stage in game development where the series s is literally holding other platforms back, balders gate 3 can’t release on Xbox yet as they can’t get split screen to work on series s , so it can’t release on series x and the game needs parity on both consoles for Microsoft to release it. Now this nonsense.

4 Likes

IMO this should be a given…
I paid for the hardware I own so WHY should it be hamstrung in favour of console owners?
Instead of nerfing MY fps, increase the consoles use of VRS or FSR (given that they’re AMD hardware) to increase console performance to PC fps rates.
I just saved and paid £1000 for my GPU to be play THIS GAME at the highest fidelity possible at native resolution (3840 x 1080) and as fast as my screen can handle. I’d also PLANNED to upgrade to a 5120 x 1440 240Hz panel but now there’s no point cause it’ll be nerfed!
Did I just waste that upgrade to pander to cheapskate gamers?
Consoles are the cheap option for gaming, if I was happy with 60 fps I’d be on the console myself.
I’m not though am I…
Thanks T10 for raising our expectaions then COMPLETELY dashing our hopes of getting the full benefit of our hard earned cash!

1 Like

I did the same, bought RX7900XTX and 5120x1440 120FPS monitor to enjoy motorsport multiplayer, just to get locked to 60 fps, nope not gonna play this game. Luckily i did not preorder this game like i was going to.

I’ve bought every forza motorsport they have ever released. Started on Xbox moved to PC at forza 7 release. I spend my hard-earned cash and build a high-end PC. And your next thought is to Cap FPS to 60 fps to be “fair”. I’ll be honest running a good monitor 144hz, 165hz, 240hz at 60 fps looks horrible compared to something with native 60hz. Thats the definition of being “not fair”. I am so glad I seen this news before I preordered today. You’ve now finally lost a player that has been there since day one!! My vote is to uncap all fps restrictions like every other game out there offered today!!

2 Likes

Can i please just enjoy this game with my PC and 165hz monitor? If not, maybe i should go to play ACC, i guess…

2 Likes

I’m so sad rn, I was looking up to this game so badly but there is no way I go back to play 60 fps. If it’s really just a race start issue like in FH then lock fps the first 5 seconds of the race, but please revert that please. There is no way it is that much impactful besides car launch.

1 Like

First of all i want to say that i am in favor of put options of FPS in Custom/Privated lobbies, but for sake of fair competition between PC and Consoles, iii am in favor to keep the FPS lock in competitive

Also i like to remind (for those that dont know) that the lock is just for multiplayer, you can use the FPS you want in singleplay

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bellow are some replies i want to do, also use them to explain more of my reasoning

Most sims are PC first-focused and one of the main is a exclusive focused sorely in another console
Forza is more the latter than the former.

in most games it does you better, give a quick search in google and youtube and you will see, there has even vdeos talking about it in Horizon 5

Its hard beacuse most game engines, even the ones that are not made for racing games or FPS, have both tied and, in MANY cases, the decoupling makes bugs and glitches more easier to happen due various factors

You can use drect drive wheels in consoles, in fact any Xbox wheel that has it will be Day 1 supported on console

you cant open a xbox a nd put a new GPU or a some extra ram to win some FPS

Yes, their main focus is for consoles after all

The only ones here so far that are coping are PC players hahahaaha

And risk a wave of (larger than PC) playerbase of consolke players asking to end crossplay?
ts better cut the problem now than let it snowball into a bigger problem like its happening in horizon that can lead to the end of crossplay in Forza

1 Like