Forza Motorsport 7 'Data Out' feature details

Thanks and even in C#. Welly welly well.

Hi! This is a great news. We have a sim racing telemetry application and, following this update, we would like to integrate Forza Motorsport 7. To be able to reconstruct an analyzable telemetry stream, few more fields would be needed to the output UDP data stream; specifically:

• track-id (to group telemetry data by track)
  • track length (telemetry data are always relative to a track distance)
  • current lap distance (see above; in [0, “track length”])
  • current lap number (to associate telemetry data to the proper lap)
  • current lap time (to compare performances on different laps)

without the above minimal information, would not be possible re-construct the needed information for telemetry analysis.

Bonus fields (not strictly needed, but would be important to have):

• last lap time (to capture precise lap times)
  • current sector index (to capture precise intermediate times)
  • last sector time (see above, to capture precise intermediate times)
  • world position (to draw the position on track of the user)

Also: having human readable strings for CarOrdinal and other names (also in a document, not in the UDP packet) would be great to give better info to the users.

Thanks a lot for this addition, it surely will open a lot of opportunities for third party developers and users.

1 Like

So far, I have been able to capture data using the Python-script posted in this topic. Quite useful to get a bucketload of data but there are certainly parameters missing in the packets making “basic telemetry reading” quite useless. Maybe if someone wants to correct me but I am missing (or want implemented):

• actual gear
  • clutch being used
  • “dirty” warning

I still need to test if possible but each stream is “personal”; not fetching data from other racers in the lobby. Understandable but seeing how much data is generated (roughly 1.5MB per minute per driver), it would be cool to get a “full UDP stream” for up to 24 racers in a private/protected lobby but maybe with a higher polling rate like 33 or 16 measurements per second per driver.

As I mentioned earlier, there is nothing useful in the packet info for anything other than motion rigs at the moment. T10 will need to open up access to more data so that proper telemetry, gear, rpm and so on can be developed.

1 Like

This could be great!

May I start dreaming about support for a buttkicker (and the likes)?

2 Likes

Yes you can!

We at SimXperience have been working with the game developers for quite some time now to facilitate proper integration with our AccuForce Professional Grade Steering Systems, SimVibe Tactile Feedback and our Full Motion Racing Simulators.

Just a follow-up / teaser video to show all our products in action with Forza Motorsport 7, including our alternative customizable force feedback option. Tutorials will be made available tomorrow explaining how to get the most of Forza 7 with SimXperience gear. A sincere thanks to the Forza team for making this possible!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2_DcY22erE

DISREGARD

Hi,

I’m the author of the Crew Chief Android and PC app. I’d love to add support for Forza 7 to the app. This would need a lot more data adding to the UDP structure - I’m happy to discuss it with the Forza 7 developers if they want any input. There are challenges in getting enough data into the stream without exceeding the maximum size of a single UDP packet, but the pCars guys came up with some workable solutions to this, so I wouldn’t expect it to be a problem.

As I don’t actually have Forza 7, I’m not sure how good a fit the app would actually be. It’s intended to provide race engineer radio calls that are applicable to longer races. For races only lasting 3 or 4 laps it might not be that useful, or rather, only a small part of what the app can do would be useful.

If anyone’s wondering what the app sounds like, I’ve got a few short youtube videos of it in action here on my youtube channel

Jim B

That would be amazing to have CrewChief on Forza! One of the biggest missing features in this series. Don’t play PCars without it and I’m sure the Forza community would love this. Hopefully T10 can release more useful info for this type of app.

I’m currently working on an iOS/Android application to show all the data presented so far.

You can see a quick sample of the data running through to the same IP as my iPhone (simulated, so my MacBook IP address)

I’ll keep you guys up to date when I make any planned releases. I also plan to integrate the UDP backend with a Windows UWP customisable layout.

Does anyone have a source of all the cars collectively across FM7 with ID’s associated with them? Just thinking of UI. :wink:

3 Likes

This is something I would love to have for Forza 7. Thanks you for your initiative on providing the community this future application =) Looking forward to following your work.

I’m impressed - having the means to get telemetry out into a data file was a big hole in the game. At a minimum, being able to run an app on the PC or tablet to dump formatted data to a csv file while you are playing will be really useful in fine tuning as you will be able to graph the results.

My coding skills arent great so when someone has a PC app that will receive the data, format it in decimal, and write it to a .csv log with headers, please post.

Hello everyone, I’m French and I wish I could exploit the data udp that FORZA we refer.
so I have the frame that resembled that:

0100 0000 C23A 0E00 F6FF F945 F8FF 4744 BA00 4844 EA8F 6601 2505 5781 0000 0000 E670 8238 5109 0139 BA6F 3BB8 6B48 8238 1921 0FB8 4025 3736 78C8 0DC0 B27B 043C 7AA9 2E3C BDB4 EA3E FCAD E73E 7A1E E93E 2D15 E63E 98FC EEB5 82A4 3736 16E2 FEB5 6895 2336 0510 E6B8 C338 9DB8 B42C E5B8 1A6C 9EB8 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 B8AB AF37 778F AF37 F3E9 27B7 776E 25B7 17B7 D138 17B7 D138 17B7 D138 17B7 D138 006F 0B3A 0054 2EB9 00DC 2D39 0027 0CBA 8408 0000 0400 0000 8A02 0000 0200 0000 0800 0000

And with your first post info, I know what corespond each byte. my problem now, and know the treatment to apply to use this data, because I have the impression that I have to face movement to get the right information. but I can not determine what action is to be done.
I know that the frame that I give you contains as 800RPM value CurrentEngineRPM value but I can not find it. can you help me (here are the corresponding bytes : BA00 4844) ??

thank you in advance

You have to unpack the buffer using the the following string:

Not really sure if this is the best method to do it but this works. The data you get back from UDP is in the order as stated in the first post.

Hello PootNoodlez, I was wondering if you (or anyone else) could elaborate further on what you mean by “unpacking the buffer using the [given] string”? Thanks.

Seems like this could be potentially useful to drastically improve FFB on PC and introduce a fully automatic per-car DOR switching and soft locking.

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I can’t see an option for broadcasting the data across my home network instead of setting only one IP address for this feature. I am using multiple apps/devices to get telemetry data during racing and sending data only to one target IP is very limiting.

Example setup with other games (Project Cars, F1 games) I use :
I have an iPhone on my wheel as dashboard (RS dash), on the side I have an iPad with bigger screen showing my current car status like brakes, engine, tires temperatures, damage etc (again RS dash) and on my desktop I am recording telemetry data (SRT).

I don’t remember a game with UDP telemetry without a broadcast option.

Thank you Turn 10 for this incredible feature! I’m used to use dash app on my tablet with my racing sims and now that you brought support makes it so much better, thank you so much!

With this and race regulations it is becoming my most favorite game of all times and I’ve been racing all my life. Thank you for adding and improving!

1 Like

Hi all,
I am totally blind and use the Narrator feature on the XBox console.
Right now, I am playing Forza to a limited extent using all the assists in the game. This new data feed could allow some fascinating accessibility add-ons. I’m thinking of an app on a iPhone or on the PC that could output telemetry data using text to speech. Obviously, It couldn’t speak all the data as it updates, but certain metrics like speed and rpm could be really helpful.
I know that Microsoft is looking into adding text-to-speech directly into Forza, but it will probably be a while before we see that.
Just my 2 cents.