Data Out feature in Forza Motorsport

In principle, once you set Forza to spit out the telemetry (see top post to set that), you have to capture the data and then decode/use it. How that works exactly would depend on your dashboard I suppose.

Presuming it’s a stand-alone device, you would just have to put it on the same network as your Xbox, probably set it to a static IP, and then hopefully it has the appropriate software to read and display the data out of the box.

1 Like

If you use Simhub then yes, you would need to run simhub on the computer to receive the packages and then send the info to a dashboard in a tablet or phone. I guess you could run it directly in a tablet if you have a Microsoft Surface device.

1 Like

This is the dash I was given. It has a USB connection on the back so presumably I need to connect it to a PC or laptop and run SimHub.

Thanks for catching these. I’ve updated the list through last week’s car additions.

1 Like

This is very tangentially related, and since you’re the only official-looking presence I’ve ever seen around here, it’s falling on you.

I’d like to do a thing where I calculate how many laps to select for a race on a given track, for a given duration, and for a given PI. Problem is, that means translating PI as a function of time and distance. Now I think that should be possible, considering how PI is calculated (i.e. based on an average lap time on an average track), but that data isn’t publicly available.

Basically I’m looking for a magical X that would solve Laps = Duration × PI ÷ X ÷ Track length in general and PI = X × Track length ÷ Lap time for each car. I don’t need perfect accuracy, the goal is to calculate a number of laps, which would have to be rounded up or down to an integer anyways.

So, do you think it would be possible to have an official insight on how PI is calculated? I’ve already seen this, which makes me think I’m not completely off-base, but I’m more specifically interested whether this X exists, and if so whether is actually calculated and its value can be shared, or at least if it can be derived through empirical testing.

I actually sent them a message as a suggestion around 1 month ago. They just answered that the issue was closed but that they would send it to the team.

Does anyone have any good SimHub dashes worth downloading and trying out?

I’ve not seen a storefront or marketplace where people can download dashes, so am sort of relying on lucky google searches.

I couldn’t find any for Forza there (outside of a few for Horizon) :thinking:

One thing I’m curious about, is there a way to get opponent coordinates? If so then theoretically one could make an overhead radar.

Na, not part of the telemetry. And other ways is blocked by their trash drm

1 Like

Might be worth requesting in Suggestions Hub I guess.

A quick look through SimHub (I was able to figure out a bunch of things over the holidays) suggests to me that the following (among other things) are not supported by Forza Motorsport:

• ABSActive
  • AirTemperature
  • AllTimeBest
  • BrakeTemperatureFrontLeft (and other wheels)
  • CarDamage1 (2, 3, 4, 5)
  • CurrentSectorIndex
  • DeltaToAllTimeBest
  • DeltaToSessionBest
  • RoadTemperature
  • Sector1Time
  • Sector2Time
  • Sector3Time
  • SessionTimeLeft
  • SessionTypeName
  • TCActive
  • TotalLaps
  • TrackConfig
  • TrackLength
  • TrackPositionPercent
  • TyrePressureFrontLeft (and other wheels)
  • TyreTemperatureFrontLeftInner (and middle, and outer, for all 4 wheels)

There’s also nothing I can find from Forza Motorsport UDP related to:

• Player Gamertag
  • Opponents’ Gamertags
  • Opponents’ Race Positions
  • Opponents’ Coordinates
  • Opponents’ Cars
  • Opponents’ PI
  • Gaps to cars ahead/behind (in both distance and time)
  • Penalties
  • Pitstops
  • Precipitation
  • Current Weather Condition
  • Tyre Compounds
  • Force-Feedback values (spring, force, damper)
  • Number of cars in a race
  • Player’s Starting Position

At minimum I feel everything that is present in the in-game HUD and Telemetry should be supported in UDP. A lot is, but a lot also isn’t.

Not having the total number of laps in a race, or total number of players, limits a lot of the more interesting features in a few SimHub dashes.

3 Likes

I will upvote every post like this until they add it. We need things like this in racing games to make the experience that much more immersive for the individual that wants it.

I worked on my first dash this week (a slightly modified Lovely Dashboard to fit some of the data Forza spits out), it was a lot of fun having that on my rig.

Even from this exploratory first step I can see limitations though, enough to require the in-game HUD to still be enabled.

Hopefully more UDP fields can be added in future updates.

As a side note, some extra UDP fields may be coming to EA SPORTS WRC in the future. I spoke with SimHub and passed his feedback on to Codemasters.

3 Likes

Wonderful! Information like this and people like you are what making gaming worth it. Thanks!

It’s an graphics demo not an racing game ;D
The stuff from the game itself is something i’ve expect from need for speed or something arcadish.
Sectors can be done externally was doing it for horizon but is own sectors than not ingame sectors.
Some other stuff is ingame but not in udp packets or simplified there (tiretemps). And some stuff is not even in the game anymore or idk airtemp was in horizon and showed in cars dashboard but think in latest it showed nothing or fixed.

1 Like

Couple of errors I caught:

3698 2022 Porsche Mission R

Year should be 2021

641 1998 Porsche 911 GT1 Strassenversion

Year should be 1997

Hi Guys,

I struggle to get the trackOrdinal parsed with Node.js, for some reason I get 0 all the time for any byte after position 310 (so from 311 where the trackOrdinal is supposed to be).

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thank You :slight_smile:

Without seeing the code, all I can think of is check you’re not on Laguna Seca Full, check the options are set to Dash packets, check you’re reading the right amount of bytes (it’s not all 32-bit data), check your data isn’t cut across multiple packets (I’ve had that with GPS data where GPS sentences can be split on two messages), check for off-by-one shenanigans.

I’ve done a decent simdash one if you have the app

SimHub only I’m afraid.

I’ve been working on one though, a modified version of Lovely Dashboard.