Businesses and Story feature in FH4

I really liked the stories. I thought they added some needed depth to the game - any interaction with characters is a good thing in a game like this. Plus, it was fun to drive all the different cars in different situations. Lots of hate for La Racer here (meaning in the thread, not by me), but one of the very first things she mentions is the importance of alternate routes in video game racing. You have to make an effort to miss a hint that boldly stated.

2 Likes

Ditto on the LaRacer hate

1 Like

Not my intention to come across as dogging PU, in fact, I was praising it for having better story than games 20-years-newer (not just Forza!).

Heck, it’s even one of my favorite games of all time.

Horizon Stories don’t do anything to advance the franchise, nor the genre

[Mod Edit - thread merged - MM]

So I played Express Delivery. Beat it in no time, extremely easy. I wasn’t expecting much TBH, but the story managed to disappoint me even then. Reasons?

• Absolutely awful plot and script
  • Cringeworthy attempts at “humor”
  • Driving OP vans just isn’t fun
  • Inaccuracies (the Transit is supposed to have a 5.8L V8, but what you get instead is the Racing V12)

Reason why I created this post is that, in games released 20 years ago, we already had stories like these, and they were done better. Who else remembers Factory Driver from NFS Porsche Unleashed? It was really fun to play, gave you unique, worthwhile prizes, and had a believable goal (become best Porsche factory driver), with an epic final showdown against Stephanie.

By comparison, Express Delivery is just a big jump. Yawn. And the team spends resources on this, resources that could have gone to other things, like, maybe, polishing the cars they release and even updating the ones we have with new engine swaps, etc.

Hasn’t dawned on Playground yet that Forza Horizon 4 is the Assetto Corsa of arcade racers. All you guys need to do is give us cars, physics, graphics and a high degree of creation ability, and just don’t get in our way. FH4 sells itself on its great graphics and gameplay, it doesn’t need gimmicks to remain interesting to its playerbase. More on cars, less on silliness, please.

4 Likes

While I tend to agree with your overall criticism, there’s already another current and active thread if you want to deficate all over stories, we dont need to open a new thread for every facet of a feature someone doesnt like. Isn’t one toilet enough for you people? We get it, you don’t like Stories; it’s not my favorite thing either and seems like a missed opportunity, but is it necessary to keep crying and whining like this? Are you that rattled and shattered? Actually, it doesn’t seem like there is anything at all you like about this game and your endless snobbery, pooh-poohing every single thing all the time borders bizarre, pathetic, and sad. If you hate this game so much, which is evident from the utter contempt in all your posts, …don’t play it! Go play Motorsport. Play something else, play anything else. Get a dog. Read a book. Better yet, practice some social distancing and take a break from from defecating all over the forum.

Forza Horizon, for better or for worse, is not Motorsport…and it’s not supposed to be. It is, what it is. Don’t like it? Okay. Do something else. I’m not saying there isn’t reason for criticism, or that everyone should agree on everything and go off singing into the sunset together,
[Mod Edit - profanity and self-censored profanity are prohibited - MM]
and just gets in the way of people actually interested in the game or some part of it, looking for interesting and/or constructive discussion. Your time would be better spent at a pharmacy picking up a very badly needed anti-depressant prescription.

Please lock this thread.

7 Likes

I would hate the game just to be cars, physics, and creation. I like challenges… games need challenges. It should dawn on you that a game has to have a game element to it, as in achievements. all games in history have had achievements from Chess, Ludo, pinball, Space Invaders… what is the fun without achievements?

It would totally make sense you posted this in the other thread. You know, another reason why the Bucket List was way better. You could even compare with something similar(Bucket List) that actually helped the advancing of the franchise. No wait, the whole genre. And could it be that you enjoyed something similar 20 years ago because you were 20 years younger. And Imagine the horror if the next Horizon would be more focused towards younger generations.

1 Like

What’s preventing you from creating your own? Game has Route Creator.

Besides, it’s really what the people who play the game want. Most people just cruise with their friends. It’s a Sea of Thieves with cars.

Drift is a big thing in FH4, yet Drift Zone 100% has a low success rate in Xbox Live. Why? Because people are drifting, they just choose not to always do the drift zones, especially because some of them are on the dirt. They run their own challenges, do their own thing. And that’s ok.

This is a racing game. At least I still think it is. In the 90s, there were no achievements, and unlockables were few. Once you unlocked the few secret cars and tracks, what would you do with the game? Toss it aside?

If you played football in your weekends, would you always want to hit goals or just do it for fun? Gaming is about fun, not the achievements. Many people find reaching goals fun, others do it differently. For me, the pleasure in this game is doing mostly things that do not earn me any rewards.

FH4 is fun because it is a sandbox. It’s only when you get near the walls that the magic vanishes. The preset challenges like these Stories are an example.

Indeed, it should be merged.

1 Like

Does preventing the game’s evolvement really do you any good?

What’s the standard?..

2 Likes

In the 90’s there was Destruction Derby where you smash doors off cars for points. There was Driver where you get chased by police. There was Gran Turismo where you are in races, and get your best times. there was Wipeout where you are in a hover car with loops, and Hotwheels type tracks. Lots of variations.

Before that there was the Amiga where you could drop oil slicks, and get speed boosts. People have always been trying to add new game elements to games.

Jesus, dude. chill out. I prefer my gameplay unrealistic and my game’s story and characters realistic. I agree with what this guy is saying. If the proper response to something you didn’t enjoy or like in the midst of a game you like is quitting, then I’d have literally no games to play. I just feel we’re at a crossroads in this game’s series. It seems to be ditching it’s fun core concepts so they can better relate to modern culture. So many features are missing from the earlier games. Glad we got Promo back, but what about the Bucket List? Car Meets? Custom Music Stations? My posts on this forum appear negative, but I’m really just trying to offer constructive criticism since I know the devs will likely see this. This sub is so clunky and underdeveloped (it won’t even alert you I quote responded you this) I post the majority of my positive stuff on the Horizon Subreddit.

Seriously though. We’re trying to explain why X and Y aren’t good with proper criticism and valid points, not whining and being snobby. We can’t just quit a game whenever we don’t like something in it. Forza Horizon is too good to leave behind. How about you stop being so ridiculously rude over someone making good and valid points?

2 Likes