Best Car for Playground games

Hello guys,

I need your help. Can you tell me which car for Playground games in following classes are the best in your oppinion?

• A800:

• S1 900:

• S2 998:

Maybe you have some nice tunings?

Thanks a lot to all.

Bump

It depends on how you want to play. Like a sport, there are different advantages depending on your objective.

Big trucks are best for tagging other players. They plow through stuff and tend to stay stable over bumps. Good for intercepting because of their size

For capping and maneuverability, small and nimble. Personally, I am a fan of the classic land rover with the I4 rally engine. Small and light plus proper tune, very nimble. Other similar small cars are a good choice depending on location. Makes you more difficult to hit and spot being small.

Ones not tried, but I suspect would also be good, the offroad side by side quads for this roll or the KTM. Buggies would make good all rounders.

It depends on your style of play and the map you are on (there is a vast difference from the majority concrete pavement at railyard, the water filled Mortimer garden, the shale/rock/water pond at quarry, the sand dunes at Bamburgh Castle, and the bumps, jumps and water at mudkickers). There are also two maps (Bamburgh Castle and Railyard) that cater to small cars (that can fit in small gaps, where they can escape and camp from other vehicles). You also need to consider the season at each map, winter and autumn create additional need for vehicles equipped for those conditions. I personally have a rotation of about 18 vehicles depending on map, season, and class.

Also some rules of thumb:

1. Always use AWD. You are at a huge disadvantage if you try to bring anything else.
  2. Tune for handling, acceleration, and rally. You should always have rally tires and rally suspension equipped on ALL playground vehicles. Racing slicks will result in you just spinning tires on all the different surface conditions and it just eats up precious PI that could be spent on other things. You cannot base tuning on the summary bars. Although putting racing slicks on a tire make it appear that braking and handling get a huge boost, that is only relative to a paved surface. Rally tires provide better grip, braking, handling, acceleration on every other surface besides pavement, and furthermore they are always better in winter and wet conditions. Top speed is not a big factor in playground games.
  3. You are not being clever by bringing a super small or super big car to a playground game. You might get a benefit in one round of one game type, but the rest of the match you will be at a disadvantage. For example, don’t bring a Peel P50 thinking no one will be able to tag you in Survival because you are so small, you will be useless in all the other rounds because you won’t have control of your vehicle. On the other side of the spectrum, don’t be the newb that brings a Unimog, Iron Knight, Caddy Limo to a playground match either. You might think you are clever and can defend the flag zone or bully people around, but you just picked the largest, slowest, tank of a vehicle that will be useless to your team (the Regalia D however might be the exception to this as it can be tuned quite well for handling, braking and acceleration. It still makes you a big target that is easy to tag though)

You need to tune multiple vehicles for each class that are specific to each of the 5 playground locations (Bamburgh Castle, Mudkickers, Quarry, Mortimer Gardens, and Railyard). In general, you can simplify it to consider Railyard one type (lots of pavement, lots of handling/acceleration needed to utilize the obstacles), Bamburgh and Mudkicker a second type (lots of bumps, jumps, and dirt/sand), Quarry and Mortimer (lots of water = trucks>cars, don’t chase a Raptor into the water with your super car… you will look like a fool trying to drive through the pond at 15mph, while the Raptor runs circles around you at 70mph). Also keep in mind that Bamburgh and Railyard are SMALL car camping havens (no matter how hard you try to fit your Subaru into that Gap… it isn’t going to get that Abarth 595…).

Now to some of the meta cars of playground games (I will provide a couple of small car choices as well for use on the two maps that cater to small car camping spots, using it to camp is frowned upon, but you always need to be prepared for it, so I personally use them as counter-camping measures, if you are solo though and running with randoms and up against a team, I wouldn’t blame you though if you chose to play that way. You will never catch me off guard though on a small map, I will always be able to get you ;-p):

A: Arial Nomad, Jeep Trailcat, VW Class 5 Bug (small car), 2017 Ford Raptor, Willy Jeep (small car)

S1: Ram Rebel TRX (DLC), Arial Nomad, Exocet (DLC), Lotus Elan (small car), VW Class 5 (small car), Bowler, 2011 Ford Raptor (wheelspin exclusive), Pro Truck, Trophy Truck, Willy Jeep (small car)

S2: Hoonigan RS200, Toyota Hilux Truck, Lotus Elan (small car), Willy Jeep (small car)

I will always bring a truck to the quarry and a small car to the railyard and castle. Mortimer and Mudkickers are more open to what I feel like, but 90% of the time it will be an offroad type vehicle, sometimes I’ll bring a Porsche PO or Camaro PO just to “flex”.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for your answer. Do you have release some of your tunes so that I/we can download it?

Yes, most of my tunes are shared. I would start with these to get a base set of playground games cars (If anything make sure you have one offroad truck and one small vehicle in each class for the reasons previously mentioned). Make sure to pick the right tune for the vehicle, as I may have tuned for multiple classes when I was testing things out (just follow the class list below):

A: Arial Nomad, VW Class 5 Bug (small car), 2017 Ford Raptor

S1: Ram Rebel TRX (DLC), Arial Nomad, Exocet (DLC), Lotus Elan (small car), Bowler, 2011 Ford Raptor (wheelspin exclusive)

S2: Toyota Hilux Truck, Lotus Elan (small car)

Jeep Trailcat is always good

My recommendations:

A: Mercedes G with tune “Tato 790709”

S1: Jeep Trailcat with tune “Tato 790709”

S2: TVR Cerbera (barn find) with rally tune “Tato 790709”

My opinion, TVR Cerbera S2 998 is one of the best car in the game. Try it!

+1 for the TVR. Needs a very tall first gear, but still out accelerates everything by a lot. The BAC mono is also good for S2 (more stable jumping than the TVR), but gets slowed down a lot by breakables at Bamburgh and elsewhere.

Agreed on the Trailcat in S1 too. The Ridgeline is also good. I tend to use a Ford GT05 at the rail yard though.

Surprised about the Mercedes G. It’s tuning stats say it should be very similar to the 17 Raptor, but I don’t like the suspension as much.

Ahh, this makes me miss anything goes Adventure. I really enjoy the games when they’re competitive, but I literally haven’t had a competitive game since that mode was eliminated. Such a silly design decision to cut a working game mode rather than rework the selection screen. Almost made me quit. Games were a great break from racing.

The games only ranked mode suffers from the same problem as these seasonals - usually unbalanced teams, people quit, and you wind up wasting a half hour playing out the string with no question of who’ll win.

And they should really fix the hiding places at Bamburg and Rail yard. That should be trivially easy. Completely breaks games in those areas (or forces silly car choices).

As someone who’s dipping my feet into ranked games, I couldn’t help but reply even though this thread is 5 months dead.

The above replies have already given you some solid car choices, but that’s only part of the battle. Just like in racing, in order to succeed in Playground Games, you need to pick a car that’s suitable for the map. If it’s Mortimer Gardens, your Aventador will get bogged down in the water while the Raptors drive circles around you. If it’s Rail Yard, your Regalia Type-D will struggle to catch the VW Bugs abusing the small car gaps between train cars.

Learn to drive. Yes, that’s right, you need to know how to drive in PG. Even if you have the super OP meta car, it’s useless if you can’t keep it pointed in the right direction when you navigate over bumps. Learn how to juke and fake out opponents. The good PG players don’t just jerk their joysticks randomly. They have methodical driving patterns.

Know the maps. Really know them. You think you know them, but you don’t. Did you see that guy pull off an insane jump and reach a seemingly impossible area? Well you better brush up on landing that jump because you can bet your rarest car that people will abuse it more frequently as you climb up the ranks. Know the small car hiding spots on Bamburgh and Rail Yard so you can counter anyone who tries to use them.

To sum up, the two golden rules are: Learn to drive and learn the maps.

Once you have mastered these two skills, your ranked play will improve. As a bonus, the seasonal games will be child’s play as your opponents will most likely be people who never bothered to learn the above and instead spend time complaining that PG should be removed from the playlists. Your knowledge will give whatever team you’re on a leg up in here.

That depends on the location, playing style and season.
A800 1983 Golf GTI, Regalia Type D, Ford Raptor.
S1 Hoonigan RS200 EVo, Ford Ranger Raptor,
S2 Hoonigan RS200 Evolution, as far as i know, nothing really beats that.

Hoonigan RS200 for S1 and S2.

This Is a very underrated car and very unknown. Mercedes 190E with all wheel drive and rally I4. Best car ever but needs a little practice to handle but it’s 100% worth it.

Honestly I think that choosing the best car for PGG is more about what you are comfortable with on uneven and broken terrain. TBH you can tune most cars to suit, though some will be better than others. The main difference is driver skill though and sticking the best driver in the worst car still tuned for PGG for a given scenario will still generally beat an avg to bad driver.