XB1 Tips/Tricks and a question about certain cars

Ok, first off I’m going to show a lot of people an easy way to solve a lot of game-related issues which I have spotted (and replied to) on the Forum, a few not so long ago.

Clear the Cache
Yep, this feature is back, but it seems that not many know how to initiate it. It’s more of a reboot like tradition PC’s today than the old console way of selecting it as an option. For those who don’t know much about it, here is a brief description. For those who don’t want to read this, skip to “How” part below. The Cache is a small amount of memory which saves small amounts of data for the applications and executable files which the console uses. This helps the games and the console itself run faster, and smoother. The cached data itself can save data in the wrong way, ie writing/reading errors. So when the wrong data is saved, the console is simply referencing the data to fill in the gaps, causing the repeated errors you see on the screen, including Freezing, glitching and graphical errors or save errors.

How to clear the Cache.
Simply hold the power button on the console for 10 seconds to shut the console off completely. Wait around 10 seconds and then tab the sensor to boot the console.
You may notice that the console is taking more time to load everything. Just be patient and wait. All of the data was removed to solve the errors, so it needs to be filled again.
After reboot, the game should work fine without glitches, freezing etc.

If the above doesn’t work, there is a fall-back plan; Delete you Local saved game data.
You might be thinking I’m pulling a leg or two here, but im not. This is also another rather hidden feature or more an explanation which MS didn’t really shout out to us.
Your Game Data is saved in 2 separate locations; The Cloud and your Hard Drive. You need to delete your local data on your HDD. Do this by managing the game on the console then finding the saved data. Click A on the file and click “Delete from console”. This will remove your save from the HDD, but the save will be re-downloaded from the cloud, when you boot the game.
Do the Above at your own risk. I take no responsibility of your actions. I can assure you these work.

So onto the Question(s)
The Koenigsegg Agera R, S (Hundra), and One:1 aren’t present in the game, and I’m a little confused as to why.

The Agera R and S have been out for some time now and I’m surprised they haven’t arrived yet as DLC etc. I’m starting to think Legal issues could be the cause, but who knows.
So, does anyone have any idea why they haven’t been introduced them? I’d love them to be in the game (my favorite car).

Thanks for reading. I hope it has proved useful :slight_smile:

No one knows and we probably will never know - it could be licensing, availability or just that those cars were too far down the list of possible cars (especially given they are all variations on the same car - and the the S and one:1 are 2014+ models that have very limited production, so could have been an issue accessing them in a time frame that suited). Either way the Car Wishlist is the best place for this stuff.

2 Likes

Yeah I thought it would have been because of Licensing issues but then again, the Agera was implemented so I’m not to sure.
I hope they’re going to implement it at least in the next Forza though. As well as having far more cars. I’ll add it tot he wish list, although it will probably be there already.

The acceptable method is after forcing the shutdown of the console, you remove the external power pack plug from the wall (or the wall-side connector from the power pack) so all power to the console is removed and drained. To leave the power connected maintains a very low-level existence on the console, which is not the intent.

Reconnect the power, check the external pack to make sure the light is dull (not full power), and then restart the console as you normally do.

Preventing game corruption can be accomplished when you’ve completed play, exit to the Dashboard (Big X button on the controller), then use the three-horizontal line button (formerly the Start button just left of the blue x button) while the game is still selected on the Dashboard, and scroll down to Quit. That action closes the game down completely, leaving nothing active or in “stand-by” mode. You’re then free to start a different game or shut down the Xbox One by holding down the Big X button.

1 Like

[/quote]

The acceptable method is after forcing the shutdown of the console, you remove the external power pack plug from the wall (or the wall-side connector from the power pack) so all power to the console is removed and drained. To leave the power connected maintains a very low-level existence on the console, which is not the intent.

Reconnect the power, check the external pack to make sure the light is dull (not full power), and then restart the console as you normally do.

Preventing game corruption can be accomplished when you’ve completed play, exit to the Dashboard (Big X button on the controller), then use the three-horizontal button (formerly the Start button) while the game is still selected on the Dashboard, and scroll down to Exit. That closes the game down completely, leaving nothing active or in “stand-by” mode. You’re then free to start a different game or shut down the Xbox One by holding down the Big X button.

[/quote]

No that’s totally wrong for many different reasons. Simply shutting of the console doesn’t clear the Cache of the processor and the other parts of the console, so you’re effectively defeating the whole point in turning the console off. To leave the power connected doesn’t maintain a low-existance in the console at all, especially when you power cycle the console (Shuts the console down completely).

The intent of the guide isn’t to turn the console off completely anyway, so you clearly don’t understand what the cache does, or what it is. You can’t clear the cache by simply powering the console down, but pulling the console from the socket/wall doesn’t do anything to help the problem. In fact it does less of a good job than a power cycle.

Neither can you prevent game corruption by simply exiting the game. Game corruption is when the games files are corrupted, which has nothing to do with wheather the game is in running or dormant state. The files will still be corrupted. To get rid of corruption, a full game re-install is required, or if you’re able to delete the corrupted file (it may be in a DLC etc), then that would be far easier. And it is possible.

HD ITeRRoRiZe I

Your advice is sound but is only part of the solution.

I think you misunderstand what Snowowl is suggesting.

Firstly he is suggesting 1 additional step to what you are saying. He is not saying your process is wrong and his is right. He agrees with most of your shutdown advice but is adding a step. That step is based on MS official troubleshooting. Having said that in most cases it adds nothing. 95% of the benefits of shutdown can be gained from a power button shutdown or changing console settings to energy save mode.

Removing all power is just part of the MS general approach - lets try everything in the hope we nail it. Sometimes it helps but most of the time that step is not needed to solve the issue.

Also what Snowowl says re exiting games is very wise advice and is useful as an extra step. The Xbox One Console is designed with lots of convenience features which quite frankly are not ready for launch even now because they can cause issues. Fully quitting games and then shutting down deals with memory leaks and in a lot of Xbox One games I have seen evidence of memory leaks.

EDIT: oops my last para does sound a little silly. Quitting games helps if you are keeping the console on. If you turn it off via power button (not removing power) then you do deal with clearing the cache and get a fresh boot.

1 Like

The reason why I find it no help at all is because Pulling the power out doesn’t solve anything at all. What I’m suggesting is a fix for what I see on this forum which are problems related to Cached memory. Pulling the Brick out of the back does nothing but a cold boot… …which is exactly what a Power Cycle does, effectively. What I’m talking about isn’t just shutting the console off. Holding the power button for 10s, flushes what on Windows 8 would call the hiberfil.exe. It’s complicated so I’m not going to talk about it. It’s basically a huge set of small cache files plumped into one single file which is far more efficient. that’s why I suggest this method rather than turning the Console of by the brick, because doing that doesn’t effectively Fix the problem. The way the guy above came accross was more of an alternative suggestion… or so it seemed. I have provided this fix for more than just Forza though, or the Xbox One for that matter…

Again memory leaks are common and were super common with X360 and PS3. They always will be common. The console has 3 operating systems under a Hypervisor. It’s not going to go anytime soon. It’s also very common for anything to have a memory leak, even on PC. Again, Power Cycling flushes the cache file which works more than 90% of the time.

The console are far more efficient than you think :slight_smile:

You still do not get what Snowowl is suggesting.

Snowowl is suggesting your steps plus one more step.

His steps are hold power button on console until the console turns off and then remove all power.

It is not either or it is in adidtion to.

2 Likes

Yes and I’m pointing out that it’s pointless because it doesn’t do anything to solve this particular issue. In fact pulling it from the wall has no effect in fixing this particular issue, therefore it wouldn’t make sense to add it in.

The fact that it’s just copy and pasted annoys me. That’s why I continued to reply.

Unless you follow the “extra” step, you’re giving misinformation according to Xbox One Support. Period. If you wish to argue that point, perhaps you should take it up with them.

Draining the power completely from the unit and power pack is an integral step. My suggestion to Quit the game(s) each time is a safety precaution also recommended by Xbox One Support, which closes the connection properly for each game. Otherwise we would have two or three games running silently in the background, all still viable to The Cloud save. That is unnecessary.

I sincerely hope you understand the system on these two points.

(Edited to “Quit” instead of exit of the game. Wasn’t in the correct menu at the time of posting.)

1 Like

Who said I have to give the “Extra” step, according to Xbox One support. this isn’t Xbox One support, it’s a forum. Why would I want to argue with the Support team when you’re the one trying to say that I should include the extra steps. If people wanted to read the full guide, I would have posted a link. Remember, this is a Forum.

This is a SHORT fix which is more likely to work rather than going through all of the steps, for which some if not most are useless for this particular issue.
Sure, being recommended to Quit the game(s) is a safety precaution, but it makes no difference AT ALL. Fact.
Each connection for each Application, Game and Service is closed upon total shutting down of the console. Each Application, Game and Service is also saved, like I already explained, in a Hiberfile within the system as cached memory. Like I explained above (again), these connections and files are wiped with the instructions I gave.

Considering you can’t have more than 1 game running in the background shows your lack of technical knowledge, and that game isn’t connected to the cloud if the console is Off. As I already suggested to safe guard that issue from occurring, you should delete the save locally to be 100% sure.

Your lack of knowledge and your ignorance is astounding. Please educate yourself before commenting. Otherwise, don’t comment at all.
Have a glorious day!

Wow HD, that was low, extremely rude and uncalled for, normally not a sign of a well informed and educated debate. I cannot speak on Snowowl’s behalf, save to say that he’s well known to the seasoned players for his expertise on the subject and certainly solved some serious issues I had [and which were confirmed by Xbox technicians afterwards]. Your point of view remains quite interesting and I really like to follow your wisdom, but rudeness is a weak man’s imitation of strength and leaves a question on trustworthiness in debate. So does disrespect towards others. Looking forward to your value adding sharing of knowledge.

Not exactly. He should be trying to change what I originally posted because he thinks what I had written is wrong. It’s just ignorant and I’m quite sick of it.
Maybe he is well-known and a seasoned player but that really doesn’t bother me. Just shows for how long he’s being doing it, he doesn’t even realize it as a problem. If he didn’t hijack the thread, then i wouldn’t prove him wrong. Plain and simple.

I was also wondering why you were getting so upset and being so rude to one of the historically most helpful people on this forum when he offered some additional advice. Now we are getting to the bottom of your issue. It’s clear you need some sort of credit for your “find” and the additional of other helpful information is perceived as a threat.

While I suspect that many know the process of clearing cache on the new xbox since it needs to be done on a somewhat regular basis, I thank you for posting this advice as there are surely many that still don’t know how to do this. (But I would also support the addition of unplugging the system to drain the power as suggested by Xbox support - even if it doesn’t do anything, it doesn’t hurt anything.)

2 Likes

Really sorry you’ve taken an insulting and offensive route.

Having dealt with the Xbox realm since the beta days prior to the launch of Xbox Live, beside working with techs for more than 15 years on such projects as Media Center Edition and the Tablet PC versions as they integrated into today’s products, I’ve got a solid background and firm standing for giving my advice.

People who wish to deal with the problem properly will follow the procedures as I stated. Thank you very much.

2 Likes

Under what circumstances are you suggesting to delete the local save?

Quitting games is a valid step to take. For example if I am playing FM5 and get invited to Battlefield then it is best that I quit FM5 before accepting the invite. Yes I know what the Xbox One is designed to do. I also know that many of its features do not work as smoothly as we would all hope and therefore steps that the gamers have found achieve smooth running includes quitting out of games.

With regards to removing the power source I agree that the extra step is not needed in the vast majority of cases and is definitely not needed to clear the cache.

I suggest deleting the Local save file if the clearing the Cache doesn’t work. You can delete the save game and it will be automatically re-downloaded from the cloud the next time you boot the game.
Deleting the save will most likely not work. The cache clearing has a far greater chance of working because you’d be surprised what data is stored in there. If deleting the console save file doesn’t work, then have fun re-installing the whole game.

I created the thread solely for troubleshooting one game only, not really taking in mind that whole swapping games and leaving apps running etc etc. At that point if none of the above works, then it’s best to simply un-plug the power and put it back in again. I didn’t suggest that because it’s chance of fixing anything is minimal. Like, extremely minimal.

The OS in general is unoptimized. However compared to when it launched, the improvements have been phenomenal. I think people underestimate the ability of the Windows Kernal and the OS’ itself. After all, that’s what the XBO uses (partly). It’s only going to improve when they bring the whole “Unified OS” together. Windows 8.1 doesn’t take much longer to start than the console itself.

Also, just imagine DirectX 12 on the console. Sony’s platform doesn’t stand a chance. More info on that here. Some interesting stuff, if you’re into that kinda thing.

Really. The Xbox One and its OS are still way off being ready for launch. You seem to trust it a lot more than I do.

Still way too many issues with it and all they do with updates is add fluff.

To me the improvements they have made have missed the real weaknesses in it to start with.

I think it’s fine. I’m not sure when you picked up the console, but from Day one, it has improved vastly. In fact I don’t see a problem with the OS itself, just the integration of the game servers which seems to annoy me. It has improved significantly since launch. I think it’s going in the right direction at least.

If you think the X1 is bad, then you should try the PS4. I’m not even going to bother listing all of the issues the console launched with. Hell, people still can’t send messages to each other.
We should think of ourselves lucky XD

What did you prove him wrong on?

He gave a complete solution. You didn’t.

It’s a school boy error for any IT related support technician to ignore something that is part of a ‘complete’ solution because they think it’s not relevant. I speak to IT ‘Experts’ of businesses that do this all day. They cut corners because they think they’re too smart.