Why is the 1968 Abarth 595 called esseesse and not SS?

Yes, this is yet another post regarding SS naming and badges. I do remember that in the case of Chevrolet, it was because of the naming strategies. However, I found the Abarth to be an interesting case. Fiat never used esseesse for its old vehicles. Back then, the car was called the 595 SS. Since it isn’t a GM vehicle, shouldn’t be exempt from Turn 10’s renaming?

There might be other non-GM vehicles affected as well but I’m not sure. Any thoughts or ideas? Discuss.

[Mod Edit - the car has been named the “595 esseesse” in Forza since it was first added to Forza Horizon in October 2012 - MM]

phonetic: ‘SS’ but it was written esseesse on the car in 60’s

3 Likes

While that is part of the answer, you can’t help but think political correctness. The Bugatti EB110 got the SS to Super Sport treatment as well.

Interesting Wiki post which lists the affected cars: https://crappygames.miraheze.org/wiki/User:McLarenP1_Boy/sandbox#Censorship_of_SS-Badged/Named_Cars_in_Forza

The letters “SS” didn`t sound too good in Europe after WW2 for some reason.

And yet, ‘SS’ was used on this car in Europe (after ww2, because well, it was only made after this time) – in fact there is likely others, Alfa Romeo certainly made super sport models after the war, and SS is the standard abbreviation for such in the automobile field.

The fact SS and esse esse sound the same kind of removes the point for it been not sounding good in Europe after ww2 anyway.

1 Like

You are not old enough to know about this but I still remember

I’m surprised the stringent adherence to being absolutely non-offensive to anyone ever, in order to keep the E for Everyone rating (cars named differently, song lyrics being edited out) has not affected the Jeep Wrangler DeBerti Design.

It’s so random they might as well have thrown darts to decide what to censor.