They changed the title ''Spring'' 2023 to 2023

Accurate as usual! We have multiple channels, and if we had something new approved to say, you’d see it on all of them. If we don’t, you won’t.

FWIW, we discuss player frustration over communications every week, because that analysis is the Community Team’s role. We’re well aware that players want more info. We’re also constantly balancing the risk of burnout from overcommunicating the “stay tuned” line when we don’t have anything new to share, vs players who will lose interest without news. Part of the reason I was brought on to the team was my experience as a 24/7 forums member since 2010, and I am always pushing the message that players need information to make informed decisions about their purchases. That’s also why I’m here answering on a weekend when I should be off on R&R. And the forums are now a place of more Team-to-community engagement than they’ve ever been in the past 15+ years.

But I’m also interested in educating players about game development as much as we can without saying too much. “Need more info” is just one element of the entire scope of development and publishing the game. Players should understand that their frustration or choice to walk away is not predictive of what the community will do as a whole. Lack of public information is not evidence of what is happening behind the scenes. And, as I’ve stated before and will continue to state again: community expectations, when fully tallied, will always exceed developer capabilities. We will not be able satisfy everyone’s demands for info or otherwise. When it comes down to it, we’re in a bit of an “are we there yet” backseat driver situation. We’ll get there. When it’s the right time to show what we want to show, we’ll show it, and information doesn’t replace playing the game, which everyone will be able to do when it’s released - which isn’t today. Until then, we thank you for your patience.

12 Likes

As I discussed in my last post, the problem here (well, one of the problems) seems to be what you and everyone else seems to be “approved” to say - the lack of it, specifically.

You know what, let’s cut the nonsense. As of this post, IMSA is currently running the 12 Hours of Sebring endurance event. Yesterday, the WEC ran the 1000 Miles of Sebring endurance race. Couple this with Formula 1 and even NASCAR (gag), and you have a pretty solid weekend of racing. Turn 10 and the Forza Motorsport team could have easily used this weekend for some solid self-promotion. Call in a special Forza Monthly session. Nothing huge - just Chris Esaki and a few other key team members in studio with a few monitors and a couple of Series X dev kits. On one monitor, you have whatever race you want running at that particular moment. And on the others, you show off, for the first time, a Forza Motorsport Race Weekend at Sebring International Raceway, using the new Corvette C8.R. For an hour or hour and a half, Chris and the team just shoots the breeze, provides a little color commentary on whatever race is running at that moment, and details what players can expect from a Forza Motorsport Race Weekend. Going from Practice to Qualifying to the Race Event itself, showing what players can do throughout, how the AI will perform, how changing track conditions and tire choices can affect how overall performance, so on and so forth. None of them have to be particularly good at it; in fact, they can flat-out suck. That wouldn’t be the reason for tuning in, anyway.

And then, at the end of the show, Chris can get up, and he can say his trademark lines once more. “Thank you so much for joining us for this special look at the all-new Forza Motorsport. We hope you were entertained and informed, and we hope that you stay with us in the coming months as I and the rest of the Forza Motorsport team bring you more details and more insight into this amazing racing simulator. Psst…if I were you, I’d clear out my schedule in late May. Just saying.”

Just saying.

Perhaps you should take that R&R day for yourself. And personally, if I were in your position, I’d make up a long, long bulleted list of talking points, questions, and general issues to bring up at the next weekly team meeting, so that when it comes time to talk, I’d be able to address the person(s) in charge of message approval and lay out, firmly and in no uncertain terms, why their master plan isn’t working and they really need to consider changing it.

But that’s just me.

1 Like

It’s not just you. You’re not reading what I’m saying if you think those ideas aren’t being discussed internally.

7 Likes

Here is my idea. there is 2 options if they release the game this year i will buy it if they wont i am not going to buy any Forza game anymore. Discussing,complaining, being frustrated, blaming doesnt solve the problem. They should have opened the pre order and given the all info but its their problem. Probably they will consider how many people they will loose if the game wont release this year.

Quite the contrary. And honestly, statements like this:

They’re the same picture.

This plan that seems to be going on is not working. Dance around it, patronize it, rationalize it however you like. There are and have been key moments that you (generally speaking) could have capitalized on, but instead have let slip. And every indication is that you will continue to let those moments slip until E3 or whatever the equivalent gathering will end up being in June, three months from now…and then what? Fourth time’s the charm?

You don’t have to be a part of the team or even a developer to see where things are headed. It’s not like the industry hasn’t yielded plenty of examples in recent memory. Call it however you like, but the ball is in your court. Just as it was in January, just as it was in June of last year, and just as it has been at several points prior and in between. Gotta do something with that ball sooner or later. And it had better count.

2 Likes

One thing to consider is that Turn 10 aren’t the sole arbiter of what will get communicated about this game pre-launch.

Microsoft is the publisher and they’ll likely have things lined up where all the gameplay details and such will get formally revealed and detailed.

Additionally, outside of the 10 or so minutes of footage we’ve seen so far, we have no idea if the rest of the game is even in a polished enough state to be displayed publicly yet.

Most AAA games look/run like mud (outside of a few vertical slices) until almost a month or two before launch.

2 Likes

OK, so I have to question this because it keeps coming up, and I feel like it’s being used as a convienent excuse instead of an actual reason. Why should Microsoft care when the racing game developer starts talking about their racing game? Are they actually afraid that they’re going to lose customers for Starfield or whatever that game is called? I’m not going to go so far as say that there wouldn’t be any overlap in potential customers for both games, but I’m pretty confident that the overlap would be quite small. And if this is about Playground Games…well, I’m sorry, but they had their shot. They have had almost two years now to suck all of the air out of the room with Horizon 5.

2nd, what is a demo but a glorified vertical slice? On top of that, Turn 10 and Microsoft are so insistent that this game is coming out this year that they should (and quite bluntly, should be expected to) have plenty of vertical slices to show off now. They should have had enough to show off last year, and avoided that whole debacle of buzzwords and hot air. They really should have had something in January. But they haven’t.

That is the problem here. Turn 10 has done everything in their power to not show their work. They have played coy, they have danced around it, they have teased, they have distracted, and they have dodged. And that is catching up with them. Occam’s Razor holds that the simplest explanation is usually the correct one, and given the current trends in the video game industry and the number of recent high-profile failures, the simplest and most likely scenarios are not the good ones.

1 Like

“Additionally, outside of the 10 or so minutes of footage we’ve seen so far, we have no idea if the rest of the game is even in a polished enough state to be displayed publicly yet.”

…and at this juncture, this is a pretty big problem. How could it not be? If you include the development that occurred after FM7 was put to bed (and if this business is anything lie mine – or a great many others – you’re working on the next thing as soon as you’re done – or even almost done – with the last thing), they’ve had half a decade to start producing. And yet, here we find ourselves with a teaser, a slightly longer teaser, and a modified version of the longer teaser.

IIRC, the run-up to FM4 was chock full of content reveals in what would have been around the same time we’re at now with FM NextGen. I’m sure some here remember the awesome trailers about the content; the muscle car trailer, the Porsche trailer, the constant “guess the car” stuff; that was a release done proper, the perfect cadence of reveals that didn’t give away too much, but kept folks interested.

And don’t even get me started on the UNREAL car pack stuff:

As for right now in terms of Forza NextGen? Red flags = raised.

2 Likes

I made my decision. I wont be buying FM day one, im not even sure i will buy the game ever. FH5 could be my last Forza game. There are better thing in life then playing a broken, unfinished, boring game that as of now only has “good graphics” to show for it. If they mess up this game (which is likely they will), i hope Microsoft closes Turn10 down.

2 Likes

Most of trailers you’ve mentioned and embedded are for DLCs and one is for Forza Horizon 4, so… :wink:

We’re not around the same time, since the new Forza Motorsport has no release date and is not available for pre-order yet.

I for one am glad that Turn 10 didn’t go the Polyphony Digital way and there is ANY communication, with active forums, suggestions hub, monthly streams and so on. Even if information is scarce for now and we mostly hear promises about news coming “soon”, I prefer it that way than being left completely in the dark.

Only patience can save us :smile:

2 Likes

Turn 10 and Microsoft are on the record as saying that this game will come out in 2023.

You know what a game that’s slated to come out in the year 2023 gets in the year 2023? Promotion. Lots of it.

That’s not happening. The most likely scenarios aren’t the good ones.

3 Likes

Previous Forza games were usually announced in June and released in October. They were not getting “promotion” in March.

Yes, this installment is different but don’t expect a ton of footage until they announce the release date and, most importantly, launch preorders :wink:

1 Like

Promotion =/= footage. Even if they waited until June to show us working gameplay, they could still be talking about and discussing important gameplay features right now. That they aren’t even bothering to do that much (but are taking time to remove content they’ve advertised) says absolutely nothing good about the state of the game, and they’re at the point where they really need good things said about it.

2 Likes

Another Forza Monthly should be streamed this week. I expect Chris Esaki or someone else from Turn 10 Studios to show up and discuss some gameplay features then. Or, if they decide against it due to celebrating the launch of FH5: Rally Adventure, we can anticipate Forza Motorsport to take the spotlight in April.

I’m certain T10 know well they can’t keep us waiting for new info for more than two or three months since the January showcase - not after they said that “2023 is the year of Forza Motorsport” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I opened this title because i want to pre order this game as soon as possible. I wanted to learn people’s thoughts but now i can see people started to hate Turn10. I think you are overreacting. Sooner or later it will be released. time is ticking and we will see what will they do to the end of year. If they release game soon and bring big voice i think you have owe a big apologize.

2 Likes

Do they? Because they’re certainly not acting like it. And frankly, I don’t expect that they are going to have anything for the next Forza Monthly but the same tired “coming months” song and dance, and then there’ll be nothing until June, at which point they’ll drop another three-minute sizzle reel and five-minute waste of time…and then ask us to be patient, because more will be coming “in the coming months.”

Tell me I’m wrong. I certainly hope I’m wrong. But history says otherwise.

4 Likes

Well, I prefer to wait and let them work in peace than to distract them by demanding constant flow of footage and information. When time comes we’ll get as much of both as we need. And there are so many other games to kill time with until then… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

There isnt anything except waiting and being patient. We wont loose they will i mean there are tons of games outside and upcoming games. If they wont release game this year or when ever they want. who cares. But We cant change their minds, act or their schedule what ever its. My saying or another one wont effect their timeline.

Agreed my friend thats what i wanted to say.

That quote always tickles me. Some year of motorsport we’re having, huh? IF (and that is a REALLY heavy “if”) they even show up on forza monthly it’ll be Chris somehow finding a new way to talk about the same things again. Don’t expect them to show up though, when the schedule pops up it’ll just be another time where motorsport is treated like it doesn’t exist.

In the meantime I’ll be playing more FM4.

2 Likes