The "painting" world of Forza.

Coming from the car design universe of Forza, there are things to be said in there.

• In Forza, you don’t paint cars. All those Forza “painters” aren’t spraying virtual paint, they’re applying decals.- Replicating the cover of a book or anything similar doesn’t make you an artist. An artist creates thing. All it means is you are solely recopying sources, you aren’t an artist. - Not being an artist doesn’t make you less skilled. Replicating something to look as close as possible like the source can be difficult on its own if it is complex. - Both design forums have a tight community. It has always been a blast checking what there’s in store.

That’s irrelevent stuff for the majority of regulars. but I had to point out some misconceptions and praise the artistic communities of Forza.

If you don’t think they should be called painters maybe you should come up with a better term.

By your theory someone who paints a landscape isn’t an artist because they are replicating and not creating.

Many Forza “Painters” spend as many hours as your definition of an “artist” making pieces of “art” on the sides of cars. After all there hours of replicating vinyls, manufacturer logos, creating full pictures out of basic shapes your going to take away their right to be called an artist?

If it’s irrelevant, why bring it up at all?

After telling all the Forza “painters” they aren’t artists you then try to show you support them. This makes your post very confusing to tell if your complimenting them or criticizing them.

Looking up what the word “Artist” means has the following results:

The present day concept of an ‘Artist’
Artist is a descriptive term applied to a person who engages in an activity deemed to be an art. An artist also may be defined unofficially as “a person who expresses him- or herself through a medium”. The word is also used in a qualitative sense of, a person creative in, innovative in, or adept at, an artistic practice.

Most often, the term describes those who create within a context of the fine arts or ‘high culture’, activities such as drawing, painting, sculpture, acting, dancing, writing, filmmaking, new media, photography, and music—people who use imagination, talent, or skill to create works that may be judged to have an aesthetic value

1 Like

Couldn’t have said it better myself Curtis. The original post is a double-whammy of confusing and annoying.

1 Like

The present day concept of an ‘Artist’
Artist is a descriptive term applied to a person who engages in an activity deemed to be an art. An artist also may be defined unofficially as “a person who expresses him- or herself through a medium”. The word is also used in a qualitative sense of, a person creative in, innovative in, or adept at, an artistic practice.

Most often, the term describes those who create within a context of the fine arts or ‘high culture’, activities such as drawing, painting, sculpture, acting, dancing, writing, filmmaking, new media, photography, and music—people who use imagination, talent, or skill to create works that may be judged to have an aesthetic value.

I put in bold some keywords because they show exactly how replicating something doesn’t make you an artist. If you’re replicating a landscape, or Herbie’s bug, you aren’t creating, nor using imagination. You aren’t expressing yourself, you are doing something that has been done before. Creating an orignal race design, or a landscape scenery is creating, but it isn’t expressing yourself. Now, if you are making a parody out of a race design, or creating a scene out of a landscape. now you’re creating something, AND expressing yourself.

Many Forza “Painters” spend as many hours as your definition of an “artist” making pieces of “art” on the sides of cars. After all there hours of replicating vinyls, manufacturer logos, creating full pictures out of basic shapes your going to take away their right to be called an artist?

It doesn’t matter how much time you’ve spent in your work. If you aren’t creating, and expressing something, you aren’t an artist.

If you don’t think they should be called painters maybe you should come up with a better term.

A better term for those that create race designs is livery designers, and those that replicate visual is livery replicators

Maybe you need to re-read the parts you bolded. To say the painters have no Imagination is disrespectful. Those designs don’t make themselves. Forza “Painters” need an imagination, talent and skill to pull off these designs. Those shapes don’t exist, they are made out of primary shapes: Squares, Circles, Triangles.

How is creating these masterpieces on the cars in Forza not expressing something exactly??? Look at the amount of detail some these designs have. These Forza “Painters” go the extra mile and then some to make these designs flawless and sometimes photorealistic. There’s an art term for you. Here’s another photorealism.

As a Photographer I would be offended if you told me my photos weren’t considered art or that I would not be considered an artist. In Photography it’s not as simple as pointing a camera and shooting. You have to take into account: Lighting, Composure, Proportion, Scale, Focus point, Foreground, Background and cropping to name a few. If you go to an art gallery you will find they have photos!

So first you say they aren’t artist’s but then when you try to give them a new title you call them Livery Designers. But from what you said before they aren’t creating something, so in your words they aren’t designers either.

I don’t consider hideous imaginary reptilian friends as art.

Neither do I. :wink:

These “Painters” have VISION

Depends on how you’re interpreting “vision”. I can see how replicating something could be considered as “art”, but those people are more technicians than artists. While thinking about it, “car decorator” is the best term for Forza to describe everyone creating designs.

My goal wasn’t to “win” nor “succeed”.

When all previous attempts to succeed fail, invent a new metric that somehow recognizes your own efforts as better than everyone else.

1 Like

This is a prime example of Trolling.

In a definitive approach, you call yourself a POSTer, but in fact what you are doing is replicating what Posters do. By using words, and clicking post, essentially you are posting, but in the definitive term, you are Baiting an argumentative response, (ie. Trolling).

Technically what I am doing in this post, is Replicating the Original post, using the tools I have. hmmm

The ARTISTS that create these wonderful cars, may not technically be PAINTING the cars, but they are definitely NOT just slapping a Vinyl on the car… Unless the artwork is simply all manufacturer logos, that were available from that section of the game.

Ok… So The people who make the cars look different, CALL THEMSELVES, Painters, well because the lack of a better describing word. They are not designers, or stickerers, They decided what they would be called nearly 10 years ago. Good luck overturning that with the 5 or 6 points of logic in the original post.

There are TONS of people that LEARNED how to paint, and create, amazing paint jobs, specifically from using Forza.

There are other types of “painters” in the world. The hurdle that you cannot seem to get over, is that they paint on a medium that you do not understand, using brushes that are unconventional. People paint houses, also they paint pictures of houses… follow?

I am a Painter, both in Forza and in real life. I paint walls solid colors, I paint murals, I paint on Canvas, and mixed media, I even paint on Rocks, and girls. It has nothing to do with my talent or vision as an artist.

Oh… Wait… that is the key ingredient that was missed. These “Painters” have VISION.

Apparently, This is just going to be a Trolling topic.

When you try to point out a speck in the vast universe, it is best to actually use your finger and do so, rather than just say, “ITS CLEAR AS DAY, Right there.”

Your foolishness, in the most Biblical form of the word, is unappreciated here.

Hehehe!

Nah, everything in this thread I said was said with the intention of provocation. I wasn’t being serious. I’ve contradicted myself several times, I used logic in a petty ways, and trying to cover all that mess with vain props. This is pretty much a classic idea of a bait topic. Seriously, I’m aware that the mods could’ve put me in moderation. I’m taking a forum break after this post, because I need it.

As for art, anything trying to materialize ideas from imagination with a minimum amount of thought, and effort can be a form of art. The term is so generic that there’s an awful of nuances. There could be a 50 pages long discussion on art, and it’ll still go on forever. Also I couldn’t care less about the term used for the whole paint aspect of the game. I get the idea of painting a car.

Uh, buddy, where were you trying to go with this? So you said something, then took it back, then rephrased it, then took it back, then said you were purposely trying to make someone angry? WHAT?! I’m not gonna spend any time trying to argue what counts as “painting” in this game because you know my position on it… But why did you even bother posting any of this at all? Honestly, to see a topic like this from someone who myself and many others respect is boggling…

Moderators, let’s just pretend that Alcadrios has had his account hijacked and his friend is trying to stir trouble, and just delete this entire thread and we’ll all try to forget this ever happened. I know that we’re supposed to be held %100 accountable for what happens with our account, but this honestly does not seem like something he’d say on here…