Online vs Career Physics

It would seem they changed it, note the synchronization slow down / speed up in this iteration of Forza. Such a bad thing to do in a racing game but it means the server / cloud server has some influence of physics / gametime.

The only difference in physics is lag,obviously most people are’nt noticing the effect because they have good connection with the server.Easy things to check try are resetting your xbox1 ,resetting your router,plugging an ethernet cable from the console to the router and making sure that anything else in the house is not taking up too much bandwidth. I know there are other things you can try on your router if you check online.

1 Like

offline you areprobably in 1st place. online you aren’t. drafting makes you faster because it removes some air resistance. in the corners tho its gonna make you have to slow down more because your own aero isn’t going to have you sticking to the track as much. clean air makes a huge difference. we’ve all seen cars that are dominant and run away from everyone when leading but get shuffeld back when pitting under yellow and are just average once in traffic. also you may have damage turned on in career while its forced off in public lobbies so that might be lowering tire temps/pressures.

1 Like

maybe you don’t have the 2mb/s upload speed? I have noticed a slight difference like in F4 but not major, but its not 100% the same. its like its 0.01 of a second lagier. My upload speed is only 0.8 also.

Also I always though that I would need to be top 1% to start to play online.

1 Like

they look and feel the same to me

I’ve been wondering this myself. I RARELY play online, but when I do I find myself way behind my normal times with the same assists ,same car, same track. Spinning out more often, and just difficulty controlling in general.

As far as connection speed FWIW - 79MBPS down and ~30-50MBPS up when I check it directly from the X-box with a latency in the 70ms range… 100/100 from the PC with 9ms lag (wifi vs cat6) :P.

Then again, I’m also the foolish guy trying to set leaderboard times in an E21 with TCS off O_o… (up to under 1000 on bugatti circuit before I got frustrated with it LOL)

2 Likes

I have been racing online since FM2 and had not experienced this issue BUT have raced 1 person who consistently swears he was fighting against changes in grip. He also had inconsistent connection. With others, I have had no issues.

To troubleshoot how about try testing on-line with just by yourself? Then add 1 Drivatar, 2 Drivatars, 3, etc. Or 1 friend, 2 friends, etc.

Good luck in troubleshooting and I hope you do sort the trouble out because online racing is amazing with right people.

It’s been stated in the past that there is a difference between single player physics and online physics (not only in Forza), but i could never quite “feel” it while playing.

I’ve experienced changes in grip as well. Ive played rivals mode extensively in Forza 5 but little online. I can run a track time of say 1:58 in rivals but cant stay on the road in online for the same track, same car. Ive never had connection issues with other games but ill check it out.

1 Like

I think it’s down to lag. There’s going to be at least a some amount of delay when playing online that is greater than the delay when playing locally. Maybe it doesn’t affect most people’s control, but it sure does affect mine. I’m no top ten racer, but I do not have nearly as many miscues offline as I do online.

2 Likes

The physics are the exact same. I have tested this multiple times. If all else fails run rivals to better yourself on the tracks. Top 2% in career isnt that hard to achieve. Since most people that play online rarely play career beyond completion (not really going for lap times) you do not have very stiff competition.

However, if you run rivals and compare your laptimes you will see that you are well below that 2% marker in most cases.

When you say you get spun out in the first lap…it happens all the time to me. The worst is when you get the terrible drivers who ram you non stop on purpose. However it is an online lobby and is to be expected however it doesnt make me rage about it less…

In part because I am just a natural competitive tryhard.

However even when this happens to me I am generally able to come from half a lap back…and usually take first place. Unless there is a decent driver out dront and by the time i weave through the traffic he has pulled away but this is rare as well.

So assuming you done have the grunt to catch back up is a bit extreme. Maybe it is your line and or tune. Believe it or not…some people are just that fast.

You are more than welcome to come join me in an X Class lobby if you have an F1 car and I will try to help. This is where I spend a majority of my time. I am not the fastest but rarely do I run into anyone that beats me more than I beat them in lobbies…

There are a few however that are really fast. Even with the same tune they beat me by 2 seconds + sometimes. Its all in the line. Even when I run perfectly clean laps…and what feels like the perfect line the edge it out just a tad more. better shifting, better braking better line…it adds up over multiple laps seeing them slowly pull away from you is heartbreaking but at the same time it means I have room for improvement.

It’s possible that the lobby had a no tunes setting so your car had different performance and setup. Combined with possible lag/latency to the server this can account for any differences. I doubt a developer will post in here to confirm, but I’ve never suspected any differences between offline and online racing in forza2, 3, 4 or 5

there is no difference between online/career.

I sometimes feel a different grip level in my cars online depending how many people are in the lobby. I drive cockpit and its noticeable.

1 Like

Great post Team Radicus. I myself have experienced this exact same issue. I know a few of the track in game better than I know myself. I also know my Ferrari inside and out. Racing offline with no changes in assists or anything else, my car sticks to the road like glue through the corners. Yet, when I race the same track, with the same car with the same game settings online, my car is loose and has a little bit less grip through the same corners. Playing online as much as I do, I have heard a number of people question this issue as well. Just because we haven’t yet read it on the forums means nothing. I personally know almost 100 online racers that don’t come to the forums. So as a reminder, just because something isn’t said in the forums doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist! LOL. Back to topic, I am with you Radicus and many others are too. Not sure if the physics are different or what. Good thing is that it doesn’t make the game any worse.

1 Like

Just to get the obvious thing out of the way since no one has mentioned it:

Grip is affected if you are behind someone or someone is behind you, taking some of the downforce away. It is more likely to occur in MP or in career. This would happen especially so on cars with wings but will also happen on cars with NO aero.

It is obvious that this will NEVER happen in Rivals/hotlapping because there is no one in front/behind to take away the downforce.

Is it this phenomena that people are discussing or loss of grip IN ADDITION to downforce loss?

Well, I’ll re-post this part of my previous comments (as it’s obvious many folks don’t bother reading through the thread):

If you really want to try and compare online physics vs offline physics, try this: You and a couple friends set up a private race, with lots of laps (as in, 20 - 30 laps). Let your friends race against each other, while you sit at the start for 30 - 45 seconds. While they continue to race, you just run laps as if you’re in Rivals mode. Assuming you’re on a track/car combo with a 90-second+ lap-time, you’re friends will be well out-of-range, so your lap-time won’t be affected by traffic.

Also, your lap-times won’t be affected by “trying too hard” to catch / pass other players.

See how it turns out… and make it honest. Run your laps the way you do when hot-lapping.

• Don Ente

Physics aren’t any different from online, and career.

I think it’s very possible it’s a personality and over-driving thing. This time I tried the reverse. I hit an online venue in the E21 on tracks I hadn’t run, got DESTROYED on indianapolis GP (normally one of my good tracks, but never ran in that car). Went straight into career mode, where oddly enough, I was on the indy GP track with the E21 class (go figure). The top time online for that race (single lap) was 1:09ish… to my 1:12ish. 2nd lap into the career race on indy I cracked a 1:08 time off Shrug effortlessly. shrug. Kind of aggravating, but I’m beginning to think it’s me over-driving the car in fierce competition personally (my personality plays to that argument also LOL… VERY competitive…).

This has come up on a number of occasions in previous iterations of the franchise … I’ve occasionally experienced it before and now - initially I just put it down to some ‘performance anxiety’ when running live, but i’ve since re-thought that and put it down to some feedback delay that racing online introduces, which is exacerbated by racing with people that scientists would call ‘a long long way away’