Old Farts are here

For the older guys and you know who you are. Here’s a place to meet and greet. Maybe find a new driver for your group. or have a beer with the room and do some racing or messing around on the grounds. I personally am in that group and on almost every day. Ran a clan for 35 years we still keep in touch but have all gone to other games and life things. Well here’s to seeing you on the tracks.

ps I love this stuff but still a newbie per say :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’m 60 so guess I fall into the category of being an old fart. I love playing Horizon and have all 5 games.

I’m only average at racing so usually get my butt kicked in online open races but I’m pretty good at drifting and have won open drift events a few times. Not too bad at the Eliminator with 10 wins so far in Horizon 5.

5 Likes

How old do you have to be to be an old fart ?
I noticed mine started smelling really old about 5 years ago - maybe I need to to change my diet ?
God - It stinks in here.

5 Likes

55 here started at the end of 4 completed it all and was hooked. I can drift op racing only won 1 but working on it. The Eliminator so so not one but pissed a few off winning with the bug againts a 4 or higher. Disabled and stuck here this is pretty much all I do.

2 Likes

welcome on the forum!
I’m probably not an old fart yet but was playing games in the early 80’s. I know history. XD

2 Likes

I’m 59 next month, played and programmed games since 1979. Fixed a game withing the first 5 minutes of seeing a computer by guessing what was wrong with it. That was actually one of the most exciting things that I ever did, because my friend had typed in an Apollo rocket game from a magazine, and asked me if I could figure out why it didn’t work, and I looked at the code, and noticed that he had mistaken the letter ‘i’ for a number ‘1’. I changed the ‘1’ to an ‘i’, and the Apollo rocket took off like a firework as a reward. I then decided that I wanted to work on computer games! Nobody thought I could ever do it, but then I got a job making games for Activision. I felt like a pop star… lol. But the strange thing was…

I was in a chip shop playing an Arcade machine, and the Game was called Dragon Breed, and I said to my friend, I would love to make this game for the Amiga Computer, and 2 weeks later that was the game I was converting to the Amiga for Activision. I was the graphic designer, not the programmer though.

Then we converted RType 2, Armalyte, The Simpsons, Robozone, and Predator 2.

2 Likes

if you where playing games in the 80’s I think you defiantly qualify.

5 Likes

79 years old next Sunday. Like a lot of you guys I started playing video games in the early 80’s - got my first PC, an AT, in 1982, and I’d been doing my very first consulting contract on one of those ancient Compaq portables with its 7-inch green-on-black screen for at least a year before. As a lifelong software engineer since the earliest 70’s, I’ve even written a couple simple games myself, purely for family and friends. I had what I thought was a pretty good cribbage game that ran on DOS and that I later ported to Windows. The first video game I ever played was the legendary Pong, which I discovered on a console in a dive bar in Venice, California, and my first on a PC was Space Invaders.

Racing games: Need for Speed Porsche Unleashed (loved it), Dirt2 and Dirt3, GTR1 and 2, and now the best of them all: FH4 for over three years and now FH5. FH4 I road-raced at pro and unbeatable, but like most of us I’ve been considerably demoted on FH5. But I’m lovin’ it, just the same. I’m absolutely not a fan of all the rammin’ and jammin’ that goes on in live races, so i generally drive against the AI. I used to do the weekly trials in FH4 with mixed results, but I haven’t attempted any of them in FH5 and probably won’t for quite a while. If I couldn’t best the unbeatables in FH4 live racing, I sure won’t be doing it in FH5. No point in making myself feel gloomy; this is supposed to be fun, after all.

My only beef with FH5 right now is that it’s really thin on the old classics that I love: classic sports cars, rare classics, classic racers, and the vintage open-wheelers. Coming of age in the 50’s and 60’s, as I did, those are the cars I think of as real sports cars. But I suppose that in the fulness of time those old citizens will be slowly added back into the game. Or at least I hope so.

13 Likes

As someone that is still young (25) i recommend to try the Trial, you might get good players that will help you get through it, i certainly do, I always try to get in first place and just stop the AI as much as i can and let my team pass them, we usually win pretty easily with that strategy even if someone is last.

2 Likes

63 next month. Would love to see more classics too. Would love to see more realism put into the upgrade aspect of the game. But it is what it is.

I got fairly good at fh4 even could hold my own against the pro AI and actually won a few on line races. I can’t the hard level AI on the weekly challenges on this game and since fh4 my gamer racing has “actually” improved.

I can understand the developers wanting to cater to the top 10% of the best gamers. But it’s very disappointing they don’t try to include the bottom % of gamers.

I’ve got the game on cloud for Xbox one and that’s about all for me. If this is any indication of how they care for the lower tier players going forward with Forza Motorsport then the Xbox series x and new Forza is definitely not in my future.

I’ve got a little gaming time left and a whole lot of “other” stuff time left.

4 Likes

I’ll be 41 this year, do I even qualify as old yet?

2 Likes

Yeah really what I was always thinking when we were doing it was 30 or over a little bit more mature when we started our clan we had some college kids then we’re even qualified even though they were younger it’s just the maturity level don’t have to listen to all that trash crap

2 Likes

It looks like anybody over 12 is old now so yes you definately qualify.
Just about to hit 55 ( jeez where’s all that time gone ? ) but I still feel 35 so I guess I’ll keep going till my hands drop off the wheel…

2 Likes
3 Likes

No, you’re a newbie :smiley:

57 here and enjoying the game despite not having played any racing game for over a decade, the last one I played was probably NFS Porsche Unleashed which dates back to 2000 :smiley:

Still remember doing chores around the house for a coin (200 lira). Whit that I could play for 1h cca. Mostly playing OutRun with friends on Arcade in a local bar. Best game at that time. Guess I’m old. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Another old git reporting in, 60 coming up next month. A veritable babe in arms compared to ReportedPeak2 though :0

2 Likes

just read this again using the term git this would put you from across the pond. love it One of my best friends was from Leads. Has passed but still miss his friendship.

1 Like

58 here but after the trauma of trying to complete the Trial today i feel more like 78 :slight_smile: How do i join up?

2 Likes

Unfortunately/fortunately I don’t qualify for this thread but I wanted to say this is the best thread I’ve seen to date. Btw I’m not crying, it’s hay fever.

4 Likes