New FRICTION assist, massively OP in the wet.

Apples to oranges. Assisted steering and braking doesn’t give the player a 10+ second per lap advantage and the ability to turn every track into Yas Marina. It is going to completely break the beginner hoppers and even us faster players have reason to be worried.

People in the beginner hoppers who want to play fair are going to get annoyed pretty quickly when they see people track extending to the extent of Nightmare.

These slower players will migrate to the regular hoppers and be a massive obstacle for faster players.

Less people as a result will be in the beginner hoppers. The corner cutters with friction assist will get bored due to the lack of players.

It’s safe to assume that there probably is a lot of overlap between players who would abuse friction assist to its full potential and people who love to ram others off the track.

These players migrate to regular hoppers, the beginner hoppers become dead and multiplayer becomes the exact same kind of crash fest as it was in FM6.

Any small chance of slower players staying in the beginner hoppers where they belong has been completely destroyed with this new assist. This is why friction assist should not be available in any multiplayer hopper.

Oh, and off topic, but a pet peeve of mine:

Feel free to drive the S class Maserati Tipo, Porsche 718, or the Team Forza NSX and you will see why TCS is necessary in some cars. You will also see how difficult they are to drive even with it on.

1 Like

OK, so… the only change to the game that will result from the addition of Friction Assist is that very young and very casual gamers might enjoy single-player more. Other than that (based on your assumptions) Friction Assist will have no effect on multiplayer.

So what’s the complaint?

U usually talk so much sense but u must be feeling obstructive today.

We all know how this assit will be used. We all know it’s will make the so called beginner hoppers an absolute nightmare for anyone serious about the game. I can only assume u havnt watched nightmares video.

Look I get why they have put this in but unfotunalty the ppl it’s aimed at can’t be trusted with such an assit. If ppl could be trusted then it would have no restrictions what so ever. The fact t10 are limiting it to beginner hoppers says it all. It’s op, it will do far more harm than good and like the majority of ppl in this thread i agree it’s utterly pointless

Possibly… although maybe it’s just that I find the doomsday predictions so tiresome, as they have come out with every version and every “ease of play” feature addition.

Why would anyone serious about the game be in the beginner hoppers? Someone who is Serious about the Game would play single-player career until he/she has a sense of how to handle the cars and how to race. Anybody jumping into multiplayer without having a decent handle on the gameplay is not Serious about the Game.

Comments seem to have gone from “people will use this to cheat” to “this will hinder the serious players attempting to learn how to play”.

2 Likes

Rossi answered this much better than I did. There is a trickle down effect with this. The beginner lobbies are filled with wreckers as is. Now, you give them this assist, its gonna be much much worse. How you can not see that is beyond me. I obviously don’t bother with the beginner lobbies, but I do constantly see players in regular lobbies that should be in the beginner lobbies and not on the same track with the faster players. When you’re consistently being lapped on the 3rd lap of a 5 lap race, you belong in a beginners lobby. Many of these players won’t go in the beginner lobbies because of how bad it is now. Its not a doomsday prediction at all, just common sense. Forza should not be adding this to the game in any form of multi-player. I don’t like it in single player either, but just like the moronic mods, I can at least accept that as it won’t effect other players. I just don’t think Forza gets how awful the behavior is in multi-player, more importantly, I think its obvious that they really don’t care.

I don’t see this assist helping lesser players at all. I think it will ultimately hold them back.

1 Like

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I’m too new to Forza to have had time to drive those specific cars yet in Forza, but have driven similar cars in other games. I get that its hard, but I think its supposed to be. My feeling is that if you want to be considered one of the best in world (which I know you are), then you should be playing the game at the hardest possible settings all the time. I’m not asking you to stop using TCS, play the game however you like. We just see it differently and that’s fine. Didn’t mean to ruffle any feathers…

Holy carp! Don, a name I haven’t seen around here in a long time! Good to see you again!

And exactly, I don’t see how an optional assist is a cheat by any means

1 Like

Thanks for finding that out dude.

appreciate it alot <3

1 Like

Fair enough that’s spot on.

Please tell me that T10 isn’t THAT blind not to see how this would completely ruin the multiplayer…

3 Likes

Can we get any word from T10 on this?

This could very well be game breaking for me. Looks like i have a decision to make.

I don’t get it. The new tweet says it will only be used in beginner hoppers. Why are you still complaining?

2 Likes

I’ve been updating the original post as new info as come to light. I guess if people are still complaiming now it will be because there not reading the edits.

The friction assist is for casual and new and people that can’t figure out how to drive. I appreciate the additional challenge of driving in the wet especially now that that wetness will vary. Use it if you want that’s great, IMO it’s lame.

but the real question here is… do the AI or drivatars get to use friction assist? And if you turn it off do they also lose the ability to use it?

4 Likes

What are beginner hoppers? Ppl choose hoppers based on class a b c and so on. We have serious players in all hoppers. Dan contradicts the above tweet.

“Its an option in all modes, but we expect it to get most of it’s usage in single player and split screen modes.”

I suspect it will be on in all hoppers except leagues. Leagues seems fairly self explanatory they do the same with sim damage. I’m still very sceptical about the horizon 3 switch

1 Like

What’s the point of having rain and multiple levels of friction? Just make a Microsoft version of Mario cart, and I’ll be on my way else where.

3 Likes

Frankly, this whole assist shouldn’t be a thing. We finally have rain in Forza, since FM6 and now they include
an assist to bypass the effect this has on the gameplay? This whole thing is wrong, Turn10 shouldn’t ever even
have considered an option like this. These are those kinds of decisions that makes you wanna scream like the Angry
Video Game Nerd: ‘‘WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!!??’’.

Single player or multiplayer, Turn10 should force players to deal with whatever trackconditions preside at that time.
Taking every challenge away, even for a beginner has a adverse effect. You might as well let the cars drive themselves.
That’s much easier for a newcomer…

When one of your game’s biggest problems is corner cutting, it seems a bit odd to be adding assists that encourage new players to cut corners, even you do ban that assist in some hoppers.

1 Like

I don’t see why having it is good or bad. It would seem to me though that it would never get turned off because it doesn’t put a player at a disadvantage once they have grown out of it. Assisted steering and braking were considerably slower than non assisted, the same with ABS and automatic trans. (STM abd TCS are sometimes helpful) Those assists lent themselves well to teaching a player how to drive without crashing and honestly assisted steering would do a better job than friction assist anyway in keeping a player on the track.

The friction assist seems to have no Downside from what I’ve seen here. It pretty much takes away an element of the game that adds a realistic challenge but doesn’t slow you down for doing so. To that end I don’t feel like it will be a teaching tool, it will be a permanent crutch.

The point of “beginner” level assists is to provide them with an option that keeps them safe but also shows them where they can improve and eventually not need the help anymore. Like training wheels on a bicycle. Eventually you want to go faster so the training wheels disappear but the balance and experience you gained with them on makes the task of riding a bike seem easy and familiar.

The friction assist is a double whammy for beginners, it lets you get away with putting a wheel off the track or braking through a puddle while turning, and once you turn it off you will be in for a big surprise. That is not training that is just hiding the difficulty underneath some fluffy pillows so that the real challenge is completely unknown to the player.

You guys need to give Mario kart more credit though, I learned how to not go off the track in that game because it punishes players harder than most other games I can think of for off road excursions. plus I learned the basics of drifting when I was younger in Mario kart 64. That has been invaluable in my Forza career. At least I don’t have to worry about Red shells and being shrunk in Forza.

5 Likes