How Forza Fakes Close Racing

xD

28 Likes

Bruh, ain’t no way

No way man

4 Likes

built from the ground up :joy:

6 Likes

If this is accurate, I’m struggling to justify a reason to take this game seriously in future. Mario Kart mechanics

16 Likes

I guess this puts Forza Motorsport firmly into arcade territory?

10 Likes

I can recall experiencing this racing at VIR, at the time I blamed it on pressure, but it’s the same effect. This made me park it in the inside to prevent an overtake from the guy behind me. I remember those last corners being brutal that moment.

1 Like

There is a topic in the “New Issues” session: Aero wash/loss of downforce when cars follow closely behind

I did not understand very well on the first time I read it, but after some playing experience and watching this video the issue makes sense.

6 Likes

Hope this is indeed a bug because it’s embarrassing for a title calling itself Motorsport

10 Likes

Aero wash.Cars right behind you can make your car loose,you can do the same to other cars to cause a mistake and create a passing opportunity.Cool addition to a racing game IMO.Switching lines back and forth will upset the Aero effect and you can get away from the trailing car.

2 Likes

Think you’re misunderstanding here brother, the implementation is backwards… the following car has more grip. Real world works the complete opposite way

“Cars right behind you can make your car loose”

Not in any real world aerodynamics they can’t. Air moves backwards not forwards when a car is in motion.

Yet another thing GT managed to implement

8 Likes

Yeah, that was my first thought, too. But as with a lot of things in this game, I’m starting to wonder if Forza is exaggerating it in order to generate the results it wants.

A while back in Horizon 5 (and maybe 4 as well), there was an odd and really annoying quirk of competing in Trials - when you pulled alongside AI drivers, if you didn’t immediately pass them, you would be pushed away from them without contacting them, as if they were racing with a force field surrounding their cars. I wonder if the same thing is happening here, but on a more subtle scale. 110 MPH around that corner in that car? Mechanical grip is going to have way more of a factor than the aerodynamics will. It’s not like they’re side-drafting each other at 170 on the high banks of Charlotte. Neither car should be particularly unsettled.

3 Likes

When you look at F1, Verstapen does the same. Do you think it was T10 who made the Red Bull?

This misses a key question I’d have… what is the front and rear aero set to? Because it looks to me like the car was tweaked for better overall speed, therefore potentially compromising its handling abilities

1 Like

So…not exactly, because yes, a car following behind you can make your car loose, if you’re going fast enough and the amount of lost air overwhelms your aerodynamics. It happens in NASCAR all of the time - one car pulls right up to the back bumper of another car, and the leading car gets loose and starts sliding.

Here’s the thing - NASCAR-spec race cars have terrible aerodynamics, weigh a bunch, and run on a knife’s edge all of the time at speeds typically around 140-170 mph on most tracks. The Le Mans prototype racers in the video are half the weight, have absurdly better aerodynamics, and aren’t going as fast in the depicted examples. If any detrimental oversteer is happening, it shouldn’t be aero-induced.

But Turn 10 obviously knows what they’re doing, right? Surely they wouldn’t think that aerodynamic oversteer can happen that easily, right?

fqhLlVfYb0CQhpLLpG

11 Likes

No, I don’t think so. The RB19 is a masterpiece of engineering, the pinnacle of automotive technology forged from the collective genius and dedication of the team behind it. A product that has been designed and engineered to be the very best it can be, and has proven itself to be a winner in its field.

Every aspect of the RB19 has been meticulously crafted to achieve maximum performance, and is a testament to the skills and dedication of the men and women who created it and embodies the very essence of innovation, performance, and excellence.

Now, does that sound as if Turn10 had anything to do with it?

lol.

8 Likes

I guess NASCAR or Truck Series are the sparing examples, but that’s generally down to them running head to toe and contact being fairly common. Chasing a car down a road from a second or a few car lengths back would require some insane physics for the car behind to eject wake FORWARD and cause instability.

Currently it would seem that FM has invisible high powered turbines on top of the following cars blowing gusts of wind into the rear diffuser of the car ahead.

Like you said, it’s goosed. Not like T10 modelled low/high pressure pockets behind cars

4 Likes

When NASCAR stock cars get loose from being closely followed, it’s because the presence of that rear car is robbing the front car of airflow needed to push down on the car’s rear spoiler. Most of that air is now going back to the following car’s spoiler. The laws of physics are working as intended. Same thing happens with any car, really, although some minor details change from example to example.

All of this is beside the main point, though.

6 Likes

Yeah, I’m specifically talking about scenarios like in the OP video. That’s simply not how it works. The following car should never have more aero/grip than the lead car unless a tyre deficit is present

On a straight/oval running head to tail with aerodynamic bricks? Sure

5 Likes

It was humor to be serious the examples in the video can ask questions about how to take corners and how to set up your car on ACC I have seen drivers be faster than me by more than 4s per lap and yet I am not one of the worst and I felt like I was at the limit of the car so is it the game that bugs or the pilot?

I belive the video is true bec i noticed my self, sometimes the car gets a very different grip in races to the point that i noticed it and if you just did 20min practice and then go race and the car is handling different with the exact same setup. I have tryed to figured out why but now i understand why it happens. But im not suprised one bit. T10 is clealry into hiding stuff and deceiving us and thats nothing new. Their lies is the only thing that is made from the ground up.

Ps this is only my opion and should not be taken as facts.

2 Likes