Horizon Open makes me genuinely angry

It is fun sometime but if they fix the cp thing we may have more close racing with a bigger group.
In Project cars 3 it is like having 3-6 cars close racing 2-3 full lap together.

In forza it is like 2 cars getting close in 3 corners and they both start overreacting.

Proximity arrows would help for blind spots for the more conscientious players (particularly players like me who prefer cockpit view), sometimes I inadvertently push players out who I didn’t realise were on my inside, I usually hand the position back but I’ve ruined both of our races by that point.

Where CP’s are concerned the only real fix would be to place a physical object (barrier/boulder/tree) on the apex stopping cutting and then a smashable object on the exit of the turn that slows players who run off. It kinda of falls into that age old argument in motorsport around track limits and it’s commonly accepted penalties cut both ways so can be unfair as often as they’re fair so only an element of danger/risk will prevent players from trying to exploit it (sometimes…)

5 Likes

I agree with whoever said nothing will change because honestly nothing will change. But if it were to it won’t be what you wanted anyway.

However in a fantasy world the best solution would be custom lobbies or user mods where players can create the races they want to. Ghosting on/off? Higher collision penalties? Check points no checkpoints? Fries with that?

Yeah, effort to drive properly until some dirtbag rams you out of a checkpoint and ruins your race

1 Like

The key problem is since FH4 when A driver ram into B in an angle.
Driver B is like on ICE and his tire lost most of the traction. So it cant defense himself.
But we still re-using the same CP system from FH1.

All the “better” “less ramming problem” racing game are either

1. A super arcady game that dont run on openworld-sim-physic
    or
  2. It is build for PVP so it change crashes reaction for esport-ish gameplay. (GT sport?)

because this is a game it cost ZERO to ram people.

In Project cars 3 if someone dive into me. My car dont move and the diver get push away.
And in project cars 3 it run on track limit. there are no cp.

Basically we need the collision assist from forza motorsport.
and with cp system change.

I dont like CP races because those “flag” visually ugly and distracting and confusing.
when it put too much on every few meters.

And the game keep putting a flag on apex so when we overtake others → The outside driver turn into inside driver door and push him off cp
or
the inside driver dive into outside driver and push him alway because self-defense. he dont want to run half the car off cp

It’s just the waiting time that is the deal breaker for me, I have never been able to see the benefit of being able to aimlessly bumble about in the map while you do either, an old fashioned lobby with a menu displaying the races, current race progress, opponents and what they’re driving would be far better + more useful.

The time taken searching for a lobby followed by the wait for the current race to finish followed by the wait for the next one to load just isn’t worth it for a couple of minutes racing.

Is this system the best a flagship franchise for the Xbox brand can do in 2022? I think we all know the answer to that, games in the 2000’s had more efficient online MP experiences.

Why they persist with it I don’t know, the way both 360 FH’s handled the waiting was just fine, there’s a reason games stuck with that for so long, it’s simple and it works.

7 Likes

The wait tine for a 2-3 min race and no reverse courses is what keeps me from doing it more. Maybe the anything goes only aspect too, but Open has some of the most amazing drivers I’ve ever raced. Can enjoy a podium more than a win because it’s great racing when it all clicks.

1 Like

Checkpoint placements are more linear and predictable than ever before. Skimming checkpoints and being able to register them at a fast pace is merely a skill and is where the fastest lap times come from.

If you can’t match a guys pace in front of you, it’s not the checkpoint’s fault.

The open system is 100% flawed and repetitive.

Yes, they need to either reintroduce a revised ranked system or create something new altogether like a league system where you slowly progress up the leagues (like Halo Infinite) where skill based matchmaking is present.

1 Like

The one thing I learned about waiting in a lifeless lobby lately is that you could actually complete dailies that required you to do something in Horizon Open. Like last time one of those was doing twenty air skills.

5 Likes

Tell me about it. While I wait in the lobby I usually walk the dog, tidy up the house, take a brief nap, then I come back and it says “championship is over” and I’m back in lobby again.

1 Like

PGG gives a sh… to the fair play racers.
The rammer hits you, throws you to the wall and he runs fine while you’re on a puntition.

The online of this game sucks, it’s toxic.

3 Likes

Clip it and report them for unsportsmanlike gameplay. Thats is all it takes

That does about as much as spitting on a fire.

1 Like

Honestly… you would be surprised :sweat_smile:.

Forza’s New Code of Conduct (looks a lot like the old CoC but what do I know, my memory could be playing up :wink: ) had this timely note…

You mean, like I quipped elsewhere just today (meow) when the game had us “collect” cat “statues” that meowed when we ran them over ? :smiling_imp:

So, just another example of it’s ok for the game but not the players to do “bad” things. All righty then.

5 Likes

“We always review the submitted video evidence fully, and we understand there could be scenarios where Player A might’ve frustrated Player B for the entire race, just for us to see Player B retaliate with a ram of his own. Do not fall for this trap! Rule of thumb, always play it straight and honest, and you won’t see any suspension time. Be the better player, don’t retaliate, and just report!”

Looks like i will be recording all of my online races going forward, for self protection. I would imagine that this updated CoC will drive an increase in reports?

1 Like

Why waste time trying to police rammers when there’s a near perfect solution to this problem…

Add a report button for ramming in races. Multiple reports lead to temporary ghosting, starting at the back, and inability to finish on the podium or earn credits/experience. Penalties increase in duration for repeat offenses. This automated system discourages ramming without banning and empowers players to maintain a better gaming experience.

3 Likes

A system like that is open for exploiting it by ganging up on a player. Join a lobby with a convoy taking part. All convoy members report you, you are done.
Seen these kind of systems, they were always abused.

8 Likes

Everything is exploitable in one way or another. Also the exploit of ganging up and reporting one player won’t be anything new. In fact a friend who drives clean recently received a 3 day suspension for just this. I’m sure you’ve heard of similar cases yourself.

The big difference with what I propose is that players who have been rightly or wrongly reported can still queue up and race. The only difference is they can’t impact the experience for others.

To counter players ganging up and falsely reporting others it could be possible to allow players to appeal a ban by specifying who they believe falsely reported them. If multiple players appeal a ban against the same player then that player is unable to report others for a set period of time.

Ultimately nothing will be perfect but what I propose is an automated system, where players are in control. We’re also talking about Horizon Open here and not some competitive race mode. Do you have a better suggestion?

1 Like

Aside from clipping every instance of ramming I do not.
It’s the nature of online gaming without moderation - which is not possible for a mass product like Horizon.
Every single online game where I was strongly invested in had these issues - WoW, GTA Online, Dark Souls 1. Taking clips and trying not to retaliate in-game or per chat has always been the only way.

1 Like