Gfx look flat, why? bug?

Why this game gameplay videos look so flat, lifted black level and no highlights? Looks same way when you mismatch hdmi signal level,… whats is going on? Even reviewers mention this. At first I thought that some previewers just did bad hdr to sdr conversion but not all can fall to that. And no, it is not “more realistic look”, it is artificially flat…

2 Likes

Sometimes I wish the contrast level was a bit higher, but it looks spectacular most of the time IMO.
I know first hand that many of these games look radically different between formats (like a Youtube video), so I am reserving my judgement until I can see it for myself on my OLED with HDR.

…and no that wasn’t a flex, a calibrated HDR image on an OLED can actually look radically different than Youtube captures or even a high refresh rate LCD monitor.

1 Like

After playing I agree the contrast could use some tuning.

Another bug in regards to colors is that Black is not Black in the game but it’s Gray. They really need to fix this issue specially for those of us that make liveries. I want Black to be Black and not gray.

1 Like

…however… now I found few hdr gameplay clips and viewed them in pretty good hdr tv… if these clips are not adjusted, holy cow, there are no bit of bad things I mentioned in my post!!! (well, perhaps one small…) Game looks (in those hdr clips) very very good… So I suspect there is some odd thing happeining in sdr conversion/output which are then giving bad taste of this game.
Only thing bit off is car color when illumined with strong light… car color (for an example yellow) is saturated extremely but kind of not reflecting or bleed pure white (lightsource). so it looks just bright yellow, not towards white like it tend to go in real life or photography…

edit: This grey/flat look was mentioned in Digital foundry video… it is a bug that appears if game gfx/visual setting are changed… I imagine it is patched pretty soon…

Here is one hdr clip (not sure how it looks if you only have sdr display device…)

2 Likes

Should’nt need oled or hdr for the colors to look good, somethings off.

2 Likes

Hakone night with rain and raytracing 60 fps is stunning!!

1 Like

even with HDR on and very good tv to display it Black is still ending up as gray. it’s a bug with the colors that they need to fix.

1 Like

The problem isn’t only with black, every colour is looking like its been washed out …

The majority of colours are supposed to be vivid and not so much saturated like a grey version of them…

The game looks like it’s having a light grey filter in everything… very disappointing…

4 Likes

Well, I just played Forza in hdr one hour ago… and no, if bug is not triggered, there is no problem with gfx, black is not grey, picture is not washed out, highlights are bright.
System level hdr is calibrated to my tv spec, 1600nits… not touched game display setting as not sure if bug is patched (I just set 60fps rt mode from initial setting offered… not from actual game menu…)

Can’t say how it looks in sdr but I’ll test that later.

edit: Sadly, there is still problems with car colors & lighting… which gives undersaturated dull looking car colors…

They need to add an off option for TAA on PC, game is way too soft because of it.

2 Likes

GamingTech (the HDR guru) made a video about this recently, and appearently the bug happens whenever you change the video/performance mode to another one. It will only get fixed once you restart the game.

3 Likes

There might be little bit extra black level lifting… I have done system level hdr calibration and black is black but in Forza left calibration box never reach true black… logo is visible no matter what…

2 Likes

This lifted black, image flatness thing goes deeper… there is just something wrong with car coloring/lighting that makes them flat/dull looking. I tried to change one car color to black, turns out it was already black but looked grey… one youtuber posted comparison 2022 vs 2023 footage and there you can see same thing, both car colors in 2023 shot just look dull, lifted…

2 Likes

I don’t know what they’re doing, honestly. The game feels so unfinished and rushed.

Not impressed with the visuals at all. HDR doesn’t look all that great and there’s texture corruption, popping, LOD issues, it’s a mess.

Just stick to the default HDR setting and Performance mode for now guys - with Performance, you get the least visual glitches.

4 Likes

The brightness bar needs to go further than zero!

1 Like

Exactly that!!!, the brightness is too high even on minimum.

1 Like

If even go as far to say a calibrated OLED can look dramatically different to the same OLED uncalibrated.

1 Like

This is a good point, there is a display calibration tool built in to the Xbox, so if anyone hasn’t used it, use it.

That said, my display is properly calibrated.

We could talk about what looks the most realistic till the cows come home, but the game looks significantly better with minimum brightness, and would look even better with less brightness.

Turn the sun down T10!

Playground games has spoiled us. With what they did graphically in FH5, whilst having dynamic time of day and weather, in a huge seamless open world whilst also making it a shared map with other players from all over the world, Turn 10 frankly can’t keep up.

3 Likes

There is really some paint material bug (flat, lifted visuals) Here I compared exact same plain color paint vs vinyl.

5 Likes