Gameplay - Drivatars - Unacceptable AI behaviour

Here’s a prime example of absolutely unacceptable behaviour that shows an AI car going off track and coming back full pace taking a player out.

It’s simply a disgrace that the devs aren’t able and willing to address issues like that. How difficult can it be to change the code and add something to it that makes it a priority for the AI to get the control of the car back in such cases? This has to be a priority. Otherwise it’ll regularly end up like shown above.

I still can’t get over the fact that we were told the following in relation to the AI uncontrollably swerving and wreaking havoc at the start of basically every higher classed race.

In some cases bugs will not be fixed due to a variety of reasons such as the feature becoming obsolete, the feature is currently intended and working as expected, or a risk of creating larger issues when attempting to fix.

Source: Gameplay - Drivatars may swerve at the start of races (3886814) - #12 by JetPartySalad

This is simply unacceptable. A properly working AI is one of the core features of a game that has races with/against AI drivers. This is game braking and has to be addressed…fullstop!

How do I vote on a topic twice?

Yes the behaviour is unacceptable but I must say the AI learned pretty well from what I encounter from other human players even teammates. Sure I screw up from time to time as well but the actions I see often seem to be deliberate.

1 Like

287 votes…nice! I hope we got their attention now.

pretty sure the ai is trained by your driving. i started game trying to avoid all damage . ai was fine. i started game and went straight to drifting since its all over the road. i cant drive by a AI without getting smashed into lol. i think it might be a u problem.

I’m a very clean driver (at least in comparison to what I see in the game from other players) and don’t even ram the AI if possible. This definitely isn’t the reason. Stop to make up things!

It’s claimed that the AI somehow gets influenced from players but it surely isn’t something related to your personal behaviour. This becomes clear when you’re driving a Tour where the AI is all over the place and overly aggressive towards all players taking part. It’s simply shoddy programming and nothing else!

Btw, how is it possible that the topic only shows 13 votes now when it clearly was at least 287 (see my post #5) before!?! What’s going on here @T10ManteoMax? Are you fiddling with the votes now or what?

Is the ai trained in the trial too, as the ai in trials I enter are normally dreadful, can normally be in front of most if not all in just a few corners as they start to drift instead of race?

The forums system has a quirk where changing topics either from search or by clicking a link to them will display the incorrect vote count above the first post until you refresh the browser. The vote count to the right of the topic tags is the correct number.

Thank you all for upvoting. The team has discussed this topic internally and I’m moving it from Report New Issues to Will Not Fix:

Drivatars, like any human, might sporadically have control issues with some cars which can cause them to drive erratically under some circumstances, which can be exacerbated by having other cars nearby which they are trying to avoid. As such, they might accidentally swerve into other players due to poor control. Due to the very low reproduction rate, the non-deliberate nature of this behaviour, and the risks associated with updating any particular Drivatar behaviour, we are not planning to make any changes to Drivatar driving behaviour at this stage.