Forza's obsession with reusing models is comical yet depressing at this point

It’s ‘built from the ground up’ in the same way that an entitled child, whom had received a company from his rich daddy, would say that he “built the company from the ground up”

10 Likes

incredibly accurate analogy

This actually isn’t a hot take because truth be told, FM does look stunning (old models notwithstanding) if we’re just looking at it at face value. The same thing with FH5. It’s a stunning looking game. Nobody can deny this.

However, it’s the game play systems… or lack thereof… That make any game worth playing beyond the graphics. This is why many, including myself, are slightly concerned because T10 hasn’t been talking up any game play specifics beyond generalizations as of the last two presentations.

The hope is they’ll start to talk more in-depth about game play features and changes they’ve only briefly mentioned in the last two presentations and Forza Monthly the closer we get to launch?

Also, like others, we know how the marketing cycle goes: They always showcase the graphics first because that’s what draws in the casual gamers. Once this phase is done, hopefully, they’ll start to get more in-depth with things that matter to the hardcore racing fans.

4 Likes

I’m cautiously optimistic about it right now, I’m assuming the game will act as a long term, always improving service, instead of a singular product like previous motorsports, it’s disappointing that some old and painfully obvious issues aren’t immediately addressed but that doesn’t necessarily mean there’s no intention to improve these things post launch, a compromise I would be happy with. But it’s all conjecture, there’s no official statement that this would be the plan for the game.

1 Like

I was quite surprised how many cars and locations there are at launch.

• to implement new physics model on every car and maintain characteristics
  • tracks are said to be much higher resolutions which probably mean remaking the scan

I think it’s more than just varying the parameters

• engine power
  • acceleration
  • handling
  • braking

The big american car does behave very differently than any other if european or japaneze model. Very much like a few I driven with blade suspension, wobbly but comfortable and hardly race cars.

Would be great entertainment video while waiting for release to see more details and in depth looks into development, that does not reveal trade secrets of Turn10 of course.

Maybe there are on internet for some devs out there. I heard in general that AAA titles have something like 100 employees working 3-5 years. Quite an undertaking.

2 Likes

I agree it’s easy to get caught up in negativity before the game is even out.

Making a game of this scope with the supposed improved features they’re bringing, both visually and how the physics work, isn’t easy.

We often view developers the same way we view music, movie and TV producers and just assume the end result we consume somehow magically “happens”, when in reality it takes thousands of hours of hard work to produce. Even the “worst” movies & games still took a lot of work to create even if they didn’t do certain things better than others.

This is why even with older models and nitpicky details… That are important, but not in the grand scheme of things in a game of this size… I’m also optimistic, but setting my expectations accordingly.

2 Likes

It took them 2 maybe 3 years to develop forza motorsport 5 . The excuse for fm5s lack of content was needing to start from the “ground up” with cars and tracks for the next gen of consoles, supposedly laser scanning everything to future proof motorsport. This game is almost at the 6 year mark in development and while im not going to minimize development time and difficulty, what they have shown is not 6 years worth of work when they already have quite a large amount of base assets that are clearly being reused.

The cars have not been rescanned and rebuilt they are indeed carried over models with new shaders, the physics engine is not new merely modified which has been the case with every new iteration, tracks were supposedly laser scanned so since most haven’t changed wouldn’t need a rescan but they have decided to heavily invest in off track detail which while a nice touch doesnt really add much to a race.

Sound is important but as far as i know new recordings weren’t made they used their “vast catalog” of recordings. I know turn 10 was disappointed when the one x came out and wouldn’t have dedicated audio hardware, the series consoles do so we’ll see if they take advantage of it.

What we were shown the other day were clips from past shows and some new footage that wasnt too promising imo. 12 less track locations than 7, old forza aero, old incorrect car models, cars with seemingly missing windows and vent covers or possibly a shader bug, lackluster damage model we already had scratches is this really a new feature and they talked about sound but we only heard like 5 seconds of it and a very basic and sloppy new hud that they did mention wasnt final but my question is why not.

Theres more things that concerned me but it doesnt matter from what i could tell this game is no where close to being done. The amount of pr buzzwords, pure undeserved cockiness and constant self shoulder patting really turned me off. Ive heard this song and dance before and it became old 3 games ago. Only time will tell i guess but i know one thing for sure, the players will surely let them know if this is the most “beautiful, comprehensive, technically advanced” racing game ever.

9 Likes

Yeah. I was hoping that first marketing phase was over by now. Its been years of being shown nothing but visuals. This was a chance to talk gameplay and they missed it. Idk what I’ma do if the next showcase is just the same marketing buzzwords about the visuals again.

1 Like

This photos came from a famous hater of forza and xbox. This sony fan spend many many hours to put vomit on a single news about forza. How it’s possible to take images from photomode of gt and a screenshot of a streamint video? Stay calm people, we see forza 8 in the near future and when all of us will play with forza will speak about the finished game.

2 Likes

There’s no question the new Motorsport will be a Live Service game like it’s brother, Horizon. That’s a given.

The real issues will be…

A) What state does FM launch in as far as functionality (online races, basic visual appearance, in-game performance across different platforms, etc.)?

B) What kind of post-launch support will there be as far as additional content and how fast will updates address any potential bugs?

I would not be surprised if there is a day one Car Pass, and maybe even Track Pass if they plan to charge for additional courses? That would be a really dumb move IMO, because Forza has never done this through out its history. All additional tracks have always been included in updates, free of charge. But we’re in a different time and a lot of sims now charge for different parts of the game piecemeal.

We’ll just have to wait for more info. as we get closer to launch…

Even so, you can still see there is more detail on the models GT7 uses compared to past Motorsport games.

GT has less cars, but it’s quality over quantity.

Polyphony Digital received a lot of flack when GT6 released because it had a lot of older models from GT5. So, they went back and scanned new ones and touched up and retired older ones. This is the level of care we want T10, to put into the next Motorsport because they obviously have the backing and manpower it takes to do this, layoffs not withstanding.

5 Likes

Sorry but it’s pure speculation. And in a ipotetical “track pass” i don’t think will be but you are wrong because in forza 2 there was two tracks dlc to buy.

You’re right. FM2 did have additional tracks to buy.

My point is in this highly critical climate of paid DLC, microtransactions and just the price of games going up in general, it would be a bad move for MS go this route IMO because FM would be eviscerated by not just the hardcore fans, but a lot of casual gamers as inflation/recession is a real thing, and people just do not have the disposable income like they used to spend on things like this.

Yes, they can get the game for “free” on Game Pass, and then decide if they want to buy any additional DLC. But I just think this would paint an even bigger target on FM and Xbox given all of the recent controversy about how recycled FM actually looks given the marketing material they’ve released so far.

I could be wrong, and I hope I am wrong, but like I wrote, we’ll just have to wait and see once the game releases.

1 Like

The real visual problem is not even the reused car models but the absolutely awful lighting. Why is everything yellow? Sunlight is white in real life, do the artists at Turn 10 not watch a real race? The 24 hours of Daytona is currently on, watch it. White light, bright colours. In Forza, everything is lit yellow no matter the time of day. It literally washes away all the details, highlights the wrong colours and suppresses others. All Forza footage in daytime suffers from this. The game has an awful, washed-out, yellow look to it. Ironically only the night sections look proper.

The modeling would be fine if it was lit realistically. But it’s this appalling, stylized yellow filter everywhere.

1 Like

Yes, i think that forza 8 will be the Dan Greewalt dream: a platform with continuous expansions, cars, tracks, type of race etc, but i don’t think thats new circuits will be at “x dollars” payment. I hope that this forza will be the base for a world in expansion for some years. Forza needs many years for a new chapter i prefer a model similar to a big dlc after months. Time will tell…

Sounds like iRacing’s model honestly. Cars and tracks for each series are separate costs for each, instead of a “pack”.

1 Like

Remember games from the Xbox 360 era?

Almost all of them were tinted brown, or yellow and it’s humorously referred to as the “pee” filter by today standards.

What you’re seeing with FM footage and screenshots is a warm color filter being applied to the image vs. a cool, or more neutral one. That’s why the lighting looks “off” during the day, but not at night. Artists do this to evoke a sense of warmth and bright Summer days, the height of most motorsports racing seasons across the globe.

BTW, good catch. If you’re on PC (Steam), I bet you’ll be able to use Reshade, or other third party programs to change the color filtering without getting banned in MP as well?

1 Like

What does “coming months” mean? Chris stated last year when fm8 was revealed that we’d get more info in “the coming months”. At what point do we begin to hear more about why we should care about this game? It seems to be always “Oh that’ll be in a future stream” or “We’ll reveal more info in the coming months”.

It’s really telling when, unlike everyone else at the xbox event, they revealed a few crumbs of new information at best. Think about that for a moment, pretty much everybody else got new information and all we got were some old pieces of footage and teases of things they’ve been teasing for YEARS. We want to SEE these things, but instead they go on about graphics yet again. It’s incredible how every one of Esaki’s appearances is filled with double speak and information we’ve been hearing for years now. Really telling how the new campaign mode and multiplayer modes were footnotes during the presentation.

If next monthly stream rolls around and FM8 is either absent from the schedule, or just spouting regurgitated info about ray-tracing and graphics, i think i’ll just stop bothering to look at the news for it. Because why bother? fh5, for as much of a disaster as the game is, at least had streams before the game launched to showcase why you should care about it.

6 Likes

Well, they couldn’t bring PS2-era models to the eighth generation of consoles, using them on PS3 was already controversial :smiley: As for newly created high fidelity models with interior in GT5/GT6, dozens of them returned in updates for GT Sport. Even the Toyota Celica ST205 Rally Car from the latest content drop for GT7 is such “remastered” model from the PS3-era :slight_smile:

It probably means that we’ll get the next portion of info (new footage, screenshots and marketing lines) at E3 in June.