EV Fuel Issues

AAORTA

NeubaumTurk_HK

2h

EV’s are not the solution.
They still need electricity which burns fossil fuels and add to landfill with their useless batteries.
We need a new bio-fuel to keep existing cars on the road, stop the carbon and reduce the landfill.

Not_Here_Too

2h

There is no single solution. EVs have a place and a role in that, but it’s not what’s being pushed, because, reasons. Fuel cells have a place and a role too, see Germany iirc for that re (electric engine) tractor trailers (NOT Tesla battery pack semis… STUPID). Even ICs might still be saved, see Brazil iirc for carbon capture fuel recycling (IF it works, would be huge). And of course we have to get off burning fossil fuels to produce electricity, that’s just Stupid, but, again, reasons.

Now, for the bad news :wink:

The number one issue is really quite simple, and we all hate it, but… we drive too many cars, and badly. Period. Too much infrastructure is devoted (wasted) to worshipping the automobile. Which was fine when it was cheap and we didn’t know any better. Heck at that time (100 years ago) it wasn’t even a problem because there simply weren’t that many cars. But we’re Stupid. I doubt anything will happen to halt or fix the problems we made.

AAORTA

2h

You may have a better insight to this than me - most likely - but I just think electric cars that need to burn fossil fuels to get their electricity is not the way to go. I heard something a few years ago about a process of just refilling the battery with new electrolite which was basically just like stopping to fill up with petrol in the same time frame instead of sitting for hours to recharge but haven’t heard much about it since.
Anything that stops burning fossil fuels and keeps existing cars on the road to prevent landfill is a good option IMO.

Not_Here_Too

2h

Bang on the first, and agree wholeheartedly with the second :slight_smile:

Can’t recall an electrolyte refill idea off hand, sounds kinda interesting, might have to look it up. The Germany hydrogen fuel cell powered electric motor tractor trailers might be the solution you’re looking for. It does need the infrastructure and is not without it’s own problems, but it eliminates the battery issues, doesn’t burn fossil fuels, and ideally the only emissions are water vapor.

Or the carbon recycling idea being tested if it works. Supposedly the fuel is good to go in regular ICs and the emissions is just more carbon to be recaptured and cycled back into fuel. I haven’t looked into it too deep yet.

AnakalaRon

2h

Fuel cells: problem with fuels cells is that hydrogen isn’t a fuel source. It is an energy carrier. It takes energy to produce hydrogen to get the energy hydrogen carries. And with the physical laws of diminishing returns, it’s always going to take more energy to get the hydrogen than the hydrogen is going to carry into the fuel cell and onto the wheels of a vehicle. Granted that is going to be clean energy. And for the areas of the world (Pacific Northwest USA as one example) which rely on clean renewable energy such as hydroelectric. Or areas building solar and wind power. It just gets cleaner. But the output being pure steam needs to be converted back into hydrogen again. More power consumption. I don’t know about the rest of the world, but the US power grid needs to at least double in size to handle the load. And here in Hawaii, our power grid, (already at the breaking point) needs to quadruple in capacity.

Energy.gov

Hydrogen: A Clean, Flexible Energy Carrier

Hydrogen is the simplest and most abundant element on earth—it consists of only one proton and one electron. Hydrogen can store and deliver usabl…

Not_Here_Too

2h

Speaking of Hawaii… and I’ll plead ignorance here, seems like you’re sitting on an endless (clean ?) energy source of incalculable power. Anything much being done with geothermal there ?

2 Replies

AAORTA

1h

Geothermals - hadn’t considered that.
Iceland springs to mind and probably many others.
The refilling thing was on the news or a documentary several years ago but again seems to have either died off for some reason or it’s still being worked maybe ?

AnakalaRon

Not_Here_Too

1h

Not a subject Native Hawaiians are willing to let be developed. End of discussion. That’s how a lot of things get done here. But I moved to Hawaii to live in Hawaii for the reason of it is Hawaii. I left Oregon for the reason of others moving there then saying, “that’s not how we did it - wherever”. @KnightOfRen8514 can probably understand this.

2 Replies

AnakalaRon

1h

Things are done differently here. Road building, a road in the Mainland that would take a summer season to build. Here takes 3 to 5 years minimum. Construction of any kine (Hawaiian word for kind) is as weather permits. That means it may be to rainy to work or it may be good surfing weather. In which case, work can wait a day or two.

AAORTA

AnakalaRon

1h

Pity they won’t let it happen. Could be a new Superpower - both for Hawaii and energy in general.

Not_Here_Too

1h

Ah yes, now you say it I recall the issue. Thanks.

Runoff1999

43m

Jesus. This thread is still going? Look what Ford has done to us.

2 Replies

Not_Here_Too

33m

No no, we’re onto better things in it now. Really ! :laughing:

AAORTA

Runoff1999

33m

Sadly yes - thought the dead horse had been thrashed enough and only thing needed was to dig a hole but then it switched to EV fuel issues and I suddenly got interested again.
Sorry - Maybe the fuel thing needs to be moved to a new thread but I’m not sure how to do that.

2 Replies

KnightOfRen8514

24m

Dead horse? Pun intended there? :wink:

AAORTA

23m

But of Course - again pun intended…

AnakalaRon

18m

Don’t give the overlords any fuel. They’ll lock it or bundled it up some obscure place and spoil all our fun!

AAORTA

15m

Yeah - would be good if I could just move these into a new one though to stop annoying all the dead horse thrashers from carrying on without having to read them.

Not_Here_Too

11m

It might get Admin split off and moved eventually :slight_smile: Until then… consider it the graveside service for the much abused equine :wink:

And, fwiw and if any interest, I dug up an old news article on that battery refilling idea might be the one you were thinking of Aaorta. Some reading for me later anyway :wink:

Refillable Batteries for EVs

1 Reply

AAORTA

7m

Tried to select all the relevant posts and make it a new thread but it didn’t bring them over - just a link back to the original.

Thanks for the other link though - I’ll need to read this.

2 Likes

Does this mean the popcorn and m&m’s are gone too?

2 Likes

Not at all - though I’ve never been a fan of either - go for it and keep munching.
Pity the posts only came through as captures though instead of proper answerable posts.
No Idea how to work these forums.

And my Root Beer! I was enjoying those :confused:

1 Like

Sorry about that. You can always link back to the dead horse if yo’re thirsty… :cry:

EV pointless still pollutes and worse for environment when they need to mine for lithium also we will never run out of fuel IC the only way to go. “climate change” is b s its just what the earth does gets warm gets cold

Anyone who thinks EVs are saving the environment is blind to the truth. EVs are just as bad. If climate change is such a problem, then we need to preserve the cars that are already out there, not build more that are worse for the environment.

2 Likes

people that have EVs just pollute in one condensed area instead of everywhere the power plant

1 Like

Which is why a new fuel to keep existing cars on the road is a better solution to EVs.
Keep the petrol cars but just give them a better eco-friendly version of petrol.

@AAORTA they have it catalytic converters A-B drivers use them and most cars come with 2 now so to even it all out start producing 4 cat exhaust systems and leave us car enthusiast alone ha ha ha

Couldn’t understand a bit of that.
I’m a car enthusiast so I want to keep the current cars on the road but still with an option that doesn’t destroy the planet.
Cats don’t do that cos they still use Petrol.

1 Like

im making a joke about catalytic converters
cars pollute right in order to stop some pollution the GOVERNMENT made car companies start building cars with cat converters. now they make them build cars with 2 cat converters in hopes to reduce “emissions” even more
lots of car enthusiasts have straight piped exhaust systems 0 cat converters full pollution
so my joke is make cars with 4 cat converters so the "normal A-B drivers can pollute a lot less and the car enthusiast can stay doing them and it should all even out in the end + /-

EVs will make sense when we have solid-state batteries (capacitors) with low enough internal resistance to allow recharging in less than 10 minutes. Current EV batteries are dinosaur technology in that they are environmentally unfriendly to manufacture and require inefficient chargers. True solid-state batteries will be recharged by simply connecting them to a high-current DC voltage source. The only inefficiency will be AC-DC conversion.

Hydrogen fuel cells will make sense if/when we develop mass-deployable nuclear fusion reactors. Maybe wishful thinking but recent advancements are promising. Fusion reactors would make it relatively easy to produce enough compressed hydrogen gas to power vehicles worldwide.

This thread is like going on Reddit for advice on medical conditions.

2 Likes

OK - couldn’t pick out the joke in that.
Point is the EVs still pollute by needing electricity and burying the batteries after a few years.
Get a fuel that keeps the old cars on the road is the best way forward for everybody - including the car enthusiasts.

1 Like

Which is why we need solid-state batteries. They should outlast the life of the vehicle and could be recycled into other vehicles.

i dont want to get into it but i have a crazy more or less conspiracy theorist reason as to y they are trying to push EV on everybody out there

I would rather take the unanimous findings from tens of thousands of scientists around the world that mankind is significantly contributing to global warming, than the opionion from some forum troll who apparently can’t beat players using auto steer assists in this game.

5 Likes

again my good friend it comes down to personal opinion everybody is entitled to theirs. but again i forgot LIBERALS like urself r the only ones allowed to express theirs and no matter what they r right

the thread wqas fine till u showed up

Once again the thread gets derailed for no reason.
Back on topic please.

2 Likes