Cars year models being discontinued in the forza series

I’ve often wondered why tunes made for one of these cars doesn’t apply to each of the other ones. After all they’re all the same car anyway. Same goes for V8 Supercars or duplicates in GT3 cars. I’m not a tuner, I’m the customer for tunes and sometimes it gets frustrating when you pick one out of five identical cars only to find there is a fast tune out there but it’s only for one of the other examples of the same car.

I guess it goes to your point that as along as there is a different livery T10 MUST treat it as a different car.

But to the OP’s issue, I didn’t know that they were dropping cars as new ones were issued. I guess I haven’t been attached so much to a particular car enough to notice this.

This may be totally hundred percent correct on the formula E cars!

Maybe the formula E cars was a bad example lol. There are other duplicates in the game from different makes.

Or maybe like Manteo said licensing. I’m just trying to point out my opinion on that whole logic.

:slight_smile:

I think Manteo touched on the reason by pointing towards the limited resources available to model all cars and the licensing. Personally, I think licensing has a bigger impact on this than what one would think and I would imagine T10 has a different contract in place with each manufacturer negotiated to meet the demands of each of them, some of which could have a knock on effect to another. For instance, if Ferrari were to increase the cost for T10 to use their brand then cuts will be required somewhere. This could be a cut of a particular car from that brand or perhaps another brand. A license may only allow for 5 cars to be modelled and certain limitations on which ones. This would then factor into the decision as to which cars can be modelled from that brand. To ease this decision process T10 may have decided that in situations like this they will go with the newer model as the older model can be used in an older game.

This is purely speculation.

I don’t get attached to any car, the only thing I’m attached to is this dam forza series lol (sarcasm)

I just have a good eye for what’s missing and what’s not. I also wish I knew how the licensing makes an older car model of the same type obsolete (being serious)

Maybe they’ll have a “retro” dlc season pass bringing back all the cars we miss from past Forzas. Every decision is a monetary decision regardless of what is said. It’s a business.

What if they had it so for example in car select, you go to BMW “scroll” down to the M3 and then you can “scroll” left and right for different generations of the M3, would save time from going up and down through all the different BMWs to find an old M3 or new one. It would also add to the collection aspect of the game if they added more generations of the same models.

1 Like

It always comes down to licensing. If it were free then we would you still have all the cars from the past games.

I don’t think so automatically. As I wrote above, expense to develop each car for each game and the overall vision for the game design are factors as well.

Example:
You had the LT1 in the fm5 so why is it not in fm6? There’s no need to scan or model it because it’s already done. Why pay the licensing fee for both the LT1 and Z28 when we can just pay for the faster of the two

I don’t think there is any licencing fee for a lot of cars in the game. I remember a video where Dan mentioned that nowadays car companies go towards Microsoft / Turn 10 asking for them to put their newest shining car model in the game. So in the case of the Camaro, I’m sure Chevrolet would much rather see their newest model in the game than the one from a couple year old.

Too many cars in the game that are very alike isn’t good either so I support Turn 10 in removing some cars that are almost identical to newer ones. For example I own a Ford Focus Mk3, the Mk4 from december 2014 is basically the same car with the only big visual difference being the restyled front bumper (AKA they made it uglier :p). The dashboard has been revamped as well but it is basically still the same car. The all-new Focus will come in 2017 and I assume that will be the Mk5 then. So for the standard Focus models, Mk1, Mk2, Mk3/Mk4 and Mk5 will be the 4 real Focus cars. Suppose all those would be in the game, there is really not that much point in having both Mk3 AND Mk4 in the game. It makes sense if Turn 10 decides to model the Mk4 as well to just have the Mk3 replaced by it.

Before Forza 6 I played GT6 on the PS3 and what really annoyed me there was all the endless copies and copies and more copies of the same car. There are a few dozens of Mazda Miata’s in the game and most of them are just duplicates (MX5 vs Miata vs Eunos). Most rediculous car is even the Nissan GT-R when it was driving around as a covered car. You can really drive it around like that in GT6 as well as a separate car. It’s just beyond rediculous and stupid.

As much as we’d love this to be true like it is for TV and movies, it’s just not the case with games yet. Even when a manufacturer asks us to put their shiny new car in the game, it still has to be licensed, which isn’t free. It all piles up if you multiply that by dozens of car makers and multiple models for each. But that’s the price of doing business. There are benefits for us in that some of these manufacturers will amplify attention for our games or DLC on their website and social media.

If we were a big Hollywood studio making a blockbuster summer action movie, they’d be banging down our doors asking to provide cars, even co-market the game in their ad campaigns. You know, like Bruce Wayne driving a Jeep to save Gotham. Or James Bond driving a BMW like he did in the 80s. I’m sure Ian Fleming rolled over in his grave more than once when that happened.

1 Like

If that’s the case then why are there multiple Mustangs and Vettes. There’s the 2015 mustang and the 2016 Mustang gt350R. Why not just use the 2016?

I linked the below quote in my initial post. The claim “no need to scan or model [a car from a previous game] because it’s already done” is not correct.

I was thinking the same with the mustang… I’instead of giving us so many newer mustangs that are nearly identical I’d rather have some older fastbacks or special editions.

They’re not identical. The GT and Shelby GT-350 R are in all respect two different cars. One is a sports car, the other is a notch short of a race car. Also, 2 isn’t exactly “so many.”

I was in no way referring to the 350… I was talking about the two gt500s from the same era.

That was actually a cool looking car.

Maybe they have a hard time trying to find it again?

Could never understand why in the world they went with the coupe version of the 65 Mustang instead of the fastback, unless maybe someone at T10 had owned one in the past and had a soft spot for it.

It all depends on if they can find one that is in great condition and runs good and if the owner will let them use it or not. Also if the car company will let them use it or not. It all depends on licensing issues. My father in law has I believe a 65 or 66 mustang vinyl top coupe, red with white interior, very nice car and fun to ride in. front end floats a little when you are going fast.

The issue with replacing models rather than adding, in my opinion, is when cars that compete with one another straight from factory are never in the same game at the same time. My friends and I are fans of taking these competing stock cars around various tracks to see which ones are truly the best engineered from factory. But obviously not everyone enjoys leaving the cars stock and prefer only the highest performance versions to be tuned for their highest class possible. When every car is tuned, all that matters is the base chassis. So those type of players complain when cars with identical chassis are in the game at the same time. They have no concern for having say the Mustang GT, Camaro SS, and Challenger Scat Pack of the same year/equal generation. They could have just one pony car chassis and leave it at that. Frankly, satisfying that group is a stronger business case for T10, so join the club and make do with what we do get.