Car Set-ups by Turn10

I wanted to ask a quick question about how cars are setup in Forza 5 compared to Forza 4, mainly in relation to under the hood settings. Often when tuning a car you can be presented with fairly default tuning options which gravitate to common settings. Unless the car is already setup to race by default. With this in mind if you have two different cars, with the same tire width, aero, wheel separation etc… and you gave each car the exact same settings. I’m under the assumption they would still end up completely different because of settings under the hood, essentially the personality of the car.

I got the impression that the under the hood settings are what define the character of the car and your simply making an overlay of adjustments. So for instance, Turn10 might have under the hood settings of 500lbs front spring 1000lbs rear spring. But your settings might be set to 700lbs front spring 600lbs rear spring. But this doesn’t actually mean that your rear wheels are softer than your front.

Does anyone know if this is correct? If this isn’t correct it could be useful to establish a more common set of settings based on vehicle weight, wheel base, aero etc… I’m trying to get a better understanding of the real limitations of tuning on some cases and what makes each car feel unique. Is it simply the wheel spacing and weight distribution?

I think there may be two ways of looking at what you’re talking about.

One is the hidden values that T10 might have that make each car feel unique. These modifiers and or values could be literal value changes or even just slight variations in simulation calculations that can only really be felt be the end user.

The other effect you may be describing has to so with how the values we can change interact with each other. A firmly sprung car with firm dampers may feel just as balanced as a softly sprung car with lighter damping. This all has to do with the relationships of the tuning values themselves, not just the simple balance of handling as far as under and oversteer.

In my opinion, both in real life and in the game, there are several combinations of tuning ratios and relationships that can feel capable for different drivers, tracks, or other desired results.

In the end, just roll with what works for you best.