A custom-detailed, gritty, urban industrial setting with a unique timed-challenge (Video link added)

I had three goals for this event:

1. Use the Rules of Play to create a challenging game that relies on a player’s skills and a little strategy, but is much different than a traditional "race”.
  2. Use common prop elements to create an environment that looks and feels like nothing else in Horizon Mexico.
  3. Build the game around a central theme that ties everything together.

The result is the Natalie’s “Bread Delivery Challenge”.

The premise:
Players are job applicants who have qualified to take a sort of road test to be a delivery driver for Natalie’s Fresh Local Bread, a Horizon 4 background scenery business. The testing area is a full-scale mock up of an urban industrial center, complete with traffic.

The challenge:
There are three delivery “modules” equally placed around a roughly triangular loop. The applicant’s challenge is to pick up cargo at one of three locations and successfully deliver it to the correct one of two other destinations. Deliveries are made by smashing a specific object at the appropriate loading dock. New cargo is loaded at the delivery site and a new delivery destination is assigned. The event proceeds this way until time runs out.

To make it more challenging, you are provided with an allowance of three strikes. A strike is incurred through any contact with another vehicle. After the third strike, one completed delivery is deducted from your score.

The setting:
I started with a ridiculous amount of detail. I mean - down to window frames. The prop limit ultimately forced me to go back and strip a lot of it off. But I left greatest detail at the destinations. Most of the buildings in between became more abstract where you’d be speeding past them anyway.

The event trailer video is here:
Bread Delivery Challenge Trailer
I know the video is a bit long, but the character costumes and emotes were too perfect for this. And what else am I supposed to do with them anyway?

The share code for the event is 153-981-453.

I’ve only managed to get four net deliveries. More may be possible for a better driver with the right car. I’m eager to hear how you do and what you think.

2 Likes

This is so amazing! I will try out this masterpiece later :clap: