4K option patch for Scorpio?

With the news we will get a Scorpio reveal this Thursday, anyone think Forza Horizon 3 will get a 4K option patch day one? Hype!

Xbox Scorpio reveal on Thursday at 2pm UK / 6am Pacific by Eurogamer/DF:

i want 60 fps minus idiotic raindrops on the screen + better graphics in rainforest

So… I’m running FH3 on my Xbox One S with 4K, HDR & 60fps (8,10 or 12bit)… and absolutely no complaint about the graphics quality.
Perhaps your tools are the issue?

XBox one S specks indicate that the 4K and HDR is not for games but only video replay so you must have a magic XBox. Let us know where you got it so we can have the same on our XBox One S.

So can you please tell me how the laws of physics are ignored by your gaming setup. Currently no HDMI port on the market can carry the necessary amount of data needed fast enough for 4k and hdr at the same time. So once one crosses into your thresh hold are the laws ignored?

1 Like

Just ignore that post. XB1 S upscales 1080p games … it can’t push native 4K games. No console on the market today can. What the poster is viewing with ‘no complaints about graphics quality’ is not 4K gaming.

2 Likes

From 4K | The Physical-Digital Bridge - Page not found!

"Thus, for any modern 4K TV that’s going to connect to any modern 4K UHD media streaming or playing device, the spec you’re really after is HDMI 2.0. This newer version of HDMI offers 4K video resolution at a smooth, decently fast 60 frames per second (60Hz refresh).

Furthermore, HDMI 2.0 offers a bandwidth of 18GBps and thus also supports 60fps 4K video with 12-bit 4:2:2 color, 4:2:0 chroma subsampling and up to 32 channels of audio. Other features of HDMI 2.0 also include Rec.2020 color, improved 3D display functionality and a 21:9 aspect ratio for content display. Also, all HDMI 2.0 ports can be used with older HDMI 1.4 cables. If all of these additionally details look a bit complicated, just keep in mind this basic fact: HDMI 2.0 is what will allow your 4K TV to receive 4K UHD content from external sources at 60 frames per second instead of just 30. This is the most important spec for the standard as it related to ultra HD."

You’re running 1080p upscaled to 4K (not native) at 30fps, with HDR.

And trust me, while locked 30fps is good, locked 60 is a whole different level.

1 Like

Would be nice, but I herd they showed off Forza Motorsport 7 to digital foundry as a demo to show how project scorpio looks. Maybe we will get to see FM7 for the first time.

Why would it need a patch?

An option to play in 4K for Scorpio users much like PS4 Pro offers higher resolution/fps options.

PS4Pro uses upscaling. It doesn’t have the power or speed to render at 4k

And by the time Scorpio is on the shelves this game will have been forgotten.

Scropio have not enought power to run FH3 in 4k. FM7 if in 4k will be on lower details than 1080p

If the box supports 4k and the game can scale to it I don’t see why there would need to be a patch.

Because Phil Spencer said 4K “Native”, that’s different than scaling. 4K assets are already available on the PC version, so they would need to “patch” those assets in for the console. They are not available otherwise for the current console version. I would expect this sort of patch/option to be offered for 3rd party titles as well. The fact MS chose Digital Foundry shows how much confidence they have in Scorpio.

They’re not available for the current console because the console can’t run native 4k gaming. The game is UWP, so what works on PC should work on a box that can handle 4k (Scorpio) without a patch.

1 Like

Does downloading the Xbox One version download all the 4K textures etc even if it can’t use them? If so, Scorpio should run it in 4K seamlessly. Otherwise, yeah, those files will need patching in.

UWP doesn’t download different versions or assets depending on hardware configuration - it’s the Xbox version or the PC version. Which of course aren’t the same thing, even if they have a lot of common code.

The reality is that if we get a new box (Scorpio) we will probably need to reinstall the game so it will install what it needs to.

1 Like

That’s not how UWP works though, at least in it’s current form. You’re either downloading the Xbox version or the PC version. I can’t see them adding a Scorpio version, but I also can’t see them mandating Xbox One owners to download unnecessary Scorpio assets. They’re going to need to tweak their platform.

Because of this, as mentioned above, yeah, it’s impossible to know what will happen without further official announcements.

My point was in reply to the OP - I don’t think existing installs plus any possible patch is how it will work but a new install.

They could end up with 3 versions or depending on what the Scorpio is it could use the PC version.

But yeah lets wait and see.