4G latency, should I even bother trying multiplayer?

Hey All,

I bought an Xbox One and Logitech G920 wheel for my son (and myself!) for Christmas and we’ve been playing Forza 7. I’ve got a long way to go before I’m any good at it. I haven’t raced competitively since Papyrus/Electronic Arts Nascar games before many of you were born. :slight_smile: I know there are some “mature” guys on here too, I’ve been reading a few threads. I wonder if anybody remembers TEN, total entertainment network, and NROS Nascar Racing Online Series back in the 1990’s.

Anyway, to my question. I’m using 4g lte to connect with a latency of about 120-140 ms, download 15 Mbps, upload 5 Mbps. I haven’t tried multiplayer yet and I’m wondering if it’s even worth it with my connection. I don’t want to get into a race and cause problems. Out of the thousands of racers back in the day I had one of the lowest incidents per lap of any member.

Thanks for any advice,

Backwoods Racing
Kevin

Formerly,
KJ_Foyt

My internet is far worse than yours. Last I checked, I have 160 ping, 0.5 download, and 0.5 upload. Although on a good day its more like 80 ping, 3 download, and 0.6 upload. Yet, I play online just fine. If you haven’t already, hook up an ethernet cable. It used to be barely playable and I had to try at least 6 times to get into a single lobby, it seems to have fixed most things as far as stability and speed is concerned.

If that doesn’t fix things, I don’t know what will.

Thanks for the reply, I may try online racing one of these days. Probably after I finish the career portion of the game. I don’t have the option of ethernet, our only internet is cell tower. My main concern is latency but it seems pretty consistent at 120ms. I’ve never seen any packet loss at all.

On the bright side, I manage to finish in the top 2% with the Logitech quite often so if my connection is good enough I think I can at least keep up with some of the “kids” lol.

Backwoods Racing
Kevin

1 Like